Old May 9th 05, 01:33 PM
Robert11

Default 800 MHz Rebanding: Basic Question On, Please

Hello:

I'm a very light 780 user, and not too technical.

Have been reading most everything I can on the 800 MHz re-banding, and am a
bit confused.
Actually, a lot more than "a bit."
Not too technical, so I guess that is the reason.

This has probably been covered a zillion times, but if anyone could just
clarify it a little more, would be most appreciative..

(a) What I don't understand is why can't one just move a particular
station's frequency (that uses MOT analog) to the new frequency, and have it
work ?

What am I missing.

(b) I guess the same question, regarding CC usage.

All I use are CC's. Here, I can imagine that the switching plan is or might
be different in the switching the CC actually does to get to the
talker/listener. Is this the case ?

So, using the new CC freq. would not work; correct ?

** But again, wouldn't (a) be possible ? Why ?

Thanks again for help,
Bob

Old May 9th 05, 07:23 PM
John

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello:

I'm a very light 780 user, and not too technical.

Have been reading most everything I can on the 800 MHz re-banding, and
am a bit confused.
Actually, a lot more than "a bit."
Not too technical, so I guess that is the reason.

This has probably been covered a zillion times, but if anyone could
just clarify it a little more, would be most appreciative..

The current bandplan is hardcoded into the scanner. All this depends on
the scanner though. The control channel sends the scanner to a frequency
by use of some sort of "code" The "code" corresponds to a frequency
mapped in the Scanner's firmware.

When the frequencies all move, these new frequencies are not in the
firmware of the scanner as it relates to the "codes" sent by the control
channel. As far as the scanner knows, nothing has changed. When the
"code" is sent over the control channel, the scanner will tune itself to
the OLD frequency, not the new one. The control channel never actually
tells the scanner what frequency to go to. All it does is send that
representaive "code".

You'll see your selected talkgroup as being used and active, but you'll
never hear anything. It won't matter if you enter all the new
frequencies in your scanner. It doesn't work that way.

Most of us will have to buy new scanners unfortunately.
Old May 9th 05, 08:40 PM
Bill Crocker

GRE has indicated that the Radio Shack (marketed) PRO-96, and PRO-2096
Digital Programmable scanners, will have the ability to be modified for the
new band plan by flashing the firmware with your PC.

Bill Crocker

"John" wrote in message
"Robert11" wrote in
:

Old May 9th 05, 09:58 PM
Dan Conti

The news is the same from Uniden as well.

GRE has indicated that the Radio Shack (marketed) PRO-96, and PRO-2096
Digital Programmable scanners, will have the ability to be modified for the
new band plan by flashing the firmware with your PC.

Bill Crocker

"John" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in
: