Old May 9th 05, 09:26 PM
Cathy Hui

Default Can I bring my FRS / GMRS Radio to Europe - Austria, Germany, Switzerland

I just bought a pair of FRS / GMRS radios and planning on bringing them
to Europe (i.e. Austra, Germany and Switzerland). Does anyone know if
FRS legally being used in those countries? If so, if I purchase a GMRS
license, am I going to be benefitted from the longer range reception
from the GMRS in Europe?

Thanks!

Old May 10th 05, 12:46 AM
mikeFNB

AFAIK no they will not be legal as they are on a different band (or part of)
(i think you will find frs [USA ones] is right in the middle of the police
channels in some european countries)
446Mhz is the european standard and it is unlicenced 500mW max.

mike

oups.com...

Old May 10th 05, 01:29 AM
FatHam

J wrote:
Europe has a set of frequencies that are personal use. If you use the
FRS/GMRS radios in Europe you will be using them illegally. I think
the Europe service is called PMS and operates near 446.000 MHz. Do a
Google search for PMS.

PMS = Premenstrual Syndrome
PMR = Personal Mobile Radio

PMR in a nutshell: http://www.446user.co.uk/article_8.html

/AMBW/

Old May 10th 05, 05:38 AM
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

"Cathy Hui" wrote:

to Europe (i.e. Austra, Germany and Switzerland). Does anyone know if
FRS legally being used in those countries? If so, if I purchase a GMRS
license, am I going to be benefitted from the longer range reception
from the GMRS in Europe?

No, in europe it is illegal to use FRS. We have PMR there, 8 channels
446 MHz, 0.5W.

regards - Ralph

--

Want to get in touch? http://www.radio-link.net/whereisralph.txt
Old May 10th 05, 09:05 PM
FatHam

Evan Platt wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 03:29:55 +0300, FatHam
wrote:

PMS = Premenstrual Syndrome
PMR = Personal Mobile Radio

Why did they call it Mad Cow Syndrome? Because PMS was taken.

LOL!

Old May 19th 05, 12:09 PM
Jim Douglas

Ask the scanner vendor. I am sure you are not the first person that had this
question.

oups.com...

Old May 20th 05, 03:35 AM
Korbin Dallas

On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:09:07 -0500, Jim Douglas wrote:

Ask the scanner vendor. I am sure you are not the first person that had this
question.

"Cathy Hui" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a pair of FRS / GMRS radios and planning on bringing them
to Europe (i.e. Austra, Germany and Switzerland). Does anyone know if
FRS legally being used in those countries? If so, if I purchase a GMRS
license, am I going to be benefitted from the longer range reception
from the GMRS in Europe?

Thanks!

FRS/GMRS are Illegal in Europe.
They have a similar radio service to FRS but its on a different set of
frequencies.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.