Old June 13th 05, 12:06 AM
glenn P

Interesting theory, but was there chaos on board the 9-11 jets? Not in my
opinion.....

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve Silverwood wrote:

That's usually the case here in the US, as with any radio: if
you can show them that it is a real, working radio, they're
okay with it, but they will usually admonish you not to operate
it while on board the aircraft. They've been doing the
operational-test thing ever since the Lockerbie bombing.

I usually travel with a small digital radio (about half the size of a
deck of cards). I will listen to FM stations if I'm sufficiently
bored (no AM reception even when you press the radio against a
window). I will also usually fly with my GPS turned on (Gecko). It's
about the same size as the radio. I like to record the track of
approaches and landings, as well as to record the exact positions of
runway take-offs and landings.

The whole issue of not allowing the use of radio's on planes is
bogus. Sure, once upon a time radio's emitted a measurable amount of
IF RF, but anything made in the last few years, especially if it
operates on a couple of AAA's isin't going to screw up the plane's
comm or NAV systems.

The real reason is to ban any form of real-time communication that
passengers have with the outside world while in flight. It's a "human
factors" reason. I guess the argument goes that if passengers learn
while in flight that, say, World-War-3 has started, or if there is a
coordinated hijacking combined with suicidal crashing into buildings,
that it may unnerve the passengers enough to cause caos on board that
the FA's couldn't handle. They'd rather have a cabin full of sheep
insulated from the happenings of the outside world for the duration of
the flight.

It's the age-old balance between what's good for the individual vs
what's good for the group (or society). Similar to the wide-spread
use of antibiotics from a public health point of view (it may, or
will, benefit the individual, but if enough do it it will harm society
in general).

Have you ever wondered why the airlines don't pipe in real-time video
or audio into their entertainment systems? I garantee you it's not
for technical or cost reasons.

Old June 13th 05, 02:45 PM
Fly Guy

glenn P wrote:

Interesting theory, but was there chaos on board the 9-11 jets?
Not in my opinion.....

And what if the passengers of the other 4-thousand odd planes in the
air at the time learned of the hijackings and suicide crashings while
they were still in the air?

You don't think there'd be some freeky stuff happening on some of
those planes if they knew?

When all those planes were forced to land, I bet they were told
something like "ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking.
We've got a small problem with (you-name-it) and so as a precaution
we're going to make an unscheduled landing. Nothing to fear or be
worried about. Just sit tight and relax and we should be on our way
again shortly."

Heck, the flight crew never tells you the straight goods regarding the
status of your own flight (like delays, ETA, connections, etc) just to
keep you calm and not a pain in their side.

The less you know about anything happening in real time, the better.
Whether it's about the flight you're on, the goings-on in the cabin,
or the outside world in general.
Old June 14th 05, 08:34 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

In rec.travel.air Fly Guy wrote:
glenn P wrote:

Interesting theory, but was there chaos on board the 9-11 jets?
Not in my opinion.....

UAL more than likely had Ch. 9 on at the time the hijacks took
place, then, in one way or another turned them off. Unfortunately, we
will never know.

And what if the passengers of the other 4-thousand odd planes in the
air at the time learned of the hijackings and suicide crashings while
they were still in the air?

You don't think there'd be some freeky stuff happening on some of
those planes if they knew?

Actually, there would be a lot of praying going on, and yes,
the occasional fanatic. But, you'd be surprised about how well people
can pull themselves together.

When all those planes were forced to land, I bet they were told
something like "ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking.
We've got a small problem with (you-name-it) and so as a precaution
we're going to make an unscheduled landing. Nothing to fear or be
worried about. Just sit tight and relax and we should be on our way
again shortly."

Heck, the flight crew never tells you the straight goods regarding the
status of your own flight (like delays, ETA, connections, etc) just to
keep you calm and not a pain in their side.

There was an article posted in this very group about UAL890
(B744, NRT-LAX) which had Ch. 9 and the video maps on during the
hijackings. Neither the FAs, nor pilots mentioned anything about what
was going on, until their flight and 249 others were rerouted to YVR.
Only then, did the pilot tell the passengers *and* crew anything. In
fact, it's still out at
http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/...r-daytwo_x.htm .

The less you know about anything happening in real time, the better.
Whether it's about the flight you're on, the goings-on in the cabin,
or the outside world in general.

Ch. 9 on any UAL flight, maps on and maps on JBU and FFT
flights beg to differ, as those are in real time.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.sbcglobal.net/~tyketto

Old June 14th 05, 11:03 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:45:27 -0400, Fly Guy wrote:

glenn P wrote:

Interesting theory, but was there chaos on board the 9-11 jets?
Not in my opinion.....

And what if the passengers of the other 4-thousand odd planes in the
air at the time learned of the hijackings and suicide crashings while
they were still in the air?

Can you suggest what, with that knowledge, they could
reasonably have done to improve their chances of landing safely,
beyond listening to the crew telling them to quit running around and
screwing up the balance of the plane.

You don't think there'd be some freeky stuff happening on some of
those planes if they knew?

I don't know. I'd be inclined to sit there and ponder what
useful action I could take beyond coldcocking those screwing up my
chances of landing safely.

When all those planes were forced to land, I bet they were told
something like "ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking.
We've got a small problem with (you-name-it) and so as a precaution
we're going to make an unscheduled landing. Nothing to fear or be
worried about. Just sit tight and relax and we should be on our way
again shortly."

It's certainly preferable to telling them, "When in danger,
fear or doubt, wave your arms and run about."

Heck, the flight crew never tells you the straight goods regarding the
status of your own flight (like delays, ETA, connections, etc) just to
keep you calm and not a pain in their side.

You're now on the flight crew. What do you do?

The less you know about anything happening in real time, the better.
Whether it's about the flight you're on, the goings-on in the cabin,
or the outside world in general.

Bring along a lot of Sominex on your next flight and you'll be
fine.

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM