Old May 11th 05, 09:38 PM
Bill Carty

Default writing programs for scanners

Hi

I am interested in writing programs for the programing of scanners.

I have windows visual basic net so I don't have to buy a program to build
the build program. So that's one step completed.

So my questions are this

where does one find the command set scanners that can be written into a
program? Do manufacturers offer the command set up? Or does it have to be
hacked?

At one time I had the command codes for my bearcat 895, I forgot where I go
them. Been trying to find the codes for a pro 95 and have hit a wall.

Should I come up with something I am willing to share it but I need to find
the code somewhere for the scanner(s) and then write the code.

For me its mostly a way to have something to do.

any guidence that any of you are willing to share will be welcomed

Bill Carty

Old May 17th 05, 10:40 AM
Zombie Wolf

Posts like this rarely evoke much resonse, since most people are not
programmers. There is little, if any standardization of radio interfaces,
which makes this type of programming more radio-specific.

The first thing you would need to do is work out an interface in net for the
computer-radio linkup. An ActiveX control would probably be used for this,
as it can also provide visual feedback, and will simplify the rest of the
program to a degree.Optocom has put forth a standard for their stuff. Here
is a short excerpt.

=
ABOUT CI-V
=

The serial interface on the OptoScan456(tm) conforms to the Icom CI-V
interface standard. The CI-V interface is an asynchronous, half-duplex,
TTL serial interface connected in a wire-OR (bussed) configuration. Several
different devices can be connected to the bus simultaneously, and each
device has its own unique address. Software developers are strongly
encouraged to obtain a copy of the Icom Communication Interface - V
Reference Manual from Icom, Inc. for detailed information on the CI-V
interface protocol.

You will need to program for database access and logging, of course, I will
leave the details of that to you. An Access database would be nice....

Other functions are outlined in the CI-V document mentioned here. This would
probably be enough to get you started, at any rate, on a program for radios
that use this particular standard.

. ..

Old May 18th 05, 06:16 PM
Bill Carty

Thank you! This has been out there for a week and you are the first one to
respond to it.

I thought someone who might be fighting with a program for their scanner
might out of sheer frustration want to discuss their problems and maybe the
scanner community here might have some answers. I guess not.

Yes most people are not programers, but the one thing I have learned about
hanging out here on the news groups that every once in a while some one who
is not an ego maniac, and wishes to shre knowledge will share it either on
programing, or RC car building, or like here sharing scanner information.

But thanks for the response.

I figured it might be an active x type deal though I still am learning
visual basic, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to do it.

The key is to find out how the data is written to the scanner. It is most
likely a simple csv file that is loaded into a memory location, but I havn't
been able to figure out how to talk to my pro 95. Or for that matter my bc
780.

I am going to the ham vention on friday the 20th in dayton. Who know maybe
some one will have the information I need.

Oh well time to think about how to make the com port on the computer talk to
the PRO 95 to get the codes.

Thank you again.

"Zombie Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old May 19th 05, 02:52 AM
Bob Parnass

The biggest challenge is writing scanner
software is not the GUI. It is deducing the scanner's
command set (when writing control software) and the radio's
memory image layout (when writing configuration/cloning
software).

The latter is especially challenging
because most manufacturers won't share the info
without signing restrictive nondisclosure agreements.
If you don't want to be bound by such
handcuffs, you must learn the memory image
layout through your own experimentation and by sharing info
with other developers.

It gets real tough when manufacturers intentionally
encode the image information in nonintuitive ways.
You've got to love solving puzzles :-)

There are many free tool kits available for writing GUIs,
especially if you steer clear of Microsoft proprietary
stuff. You have a lot of freedom when designing the
GUI, especially if you use open source software.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old May 19th 05, 12:04 PM
Jim Douglas

When I started doing this I got a program to monitor how another scanner
program was talking to the scanner, it's a real pain. I quickly got over the
need to write my own.

. ..

Old May 20th 05, 11:23 PM
Bill Carty

thank you all,

you gave given me some stuff to chew on.

I can't say that I like solving puzzels, but I do like a challenge. And
this is somethign to do when there's noting else going on when I get up at
oh dark thirty and can't get back to sleep.

Now I have to find a way to get or write a capture program for when the
computer talks to the scanner. That's not going to be fun.

Although I didn't look hard for it, I would have thought some one at the
Hamvention this weekend would hav had it. Maybe they did and I just didn't
see it.

(Oh the hamvention is the annual gathering of ham radio and genral
communication hobbist at Dayton's Harra arena. I didn't find much but I was
also being a scrooge with the money I took.)

SO I guess it time to start googling for a program to start watchign the com
port traffic!

Thanks again guys.

Bill Carty

"Bill Carty" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old May 22nd 05, 10:42 PM
Robert Roland

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:23:58 GMT, "Bill Carty"
wrote:

Now I have to find a way to get or write a capture program for when the
computer talks to the scanner. That's not going to be fun.

Here's one:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../portmon.shtml

Or you can make a splitter cable and feed the data back into a second
(and third if you want received data too) COM port and watch it using
Hyper Terminal or someting similar.

--
RoRo
Old May 29th 05, 05:16 AM
David M. Hitchner

Bill,

You can find the complete VB6 source to my ID Tracker program he

http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/I.../IDTracker.htm

Also, Uniden now publishes the control codes for there scanners on their web
site. Another good reference is
http://www.freqofnature.com/software/protocols.html

Radio Shack scanners (except for those made by Uniden) do not allow the
scanner to be actively controlled or monitored through software. Only
programming of the scanner memory is allowed which is why I have avoided
those scanners.

--
David M. Hitchner - K5DMH
Baton Rouge, LA

Baton Rouge Area Scanning
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-k5dmh

ID Tracker
http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/d/kd5eis/I.../IDTracker.htm

ASDS - Anti-Spam Defense System - Do not Auto-Reply
For replies, use my callsign @bellsouth.net.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!

. ..

Old June 19th 05, 02:30 AM
Michael Harpe

On 2005-05-18 21:52:13 -0400, Bob Parnass said:

The biggest challenge is writing scanner
software is not the GUI. It is deducing the scanner's
command set (when writing control software) and the radio's
memory image layout (when writing configuration/cloning
software).

The latter is especially challenging
because most manufacturers won't share the info
without signing restrictive nondisclosure agreements.
If you don't want to be bound by such
handcuffs, you must learn the memory image
layout through your own experimentation and by sharing info
with other developers.

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Parnass on this. The situation he
describes has not been true for some time. At least since the time of the
Icom R-8500.

Icom and Uniden both document and publish their command sets. I downloaded
them from public manufacturer web sites. They will provide this
information for the asking. Uniden has already released the command set for
their upcoming BCD-396T TrunkTracker IV scanner on their web site. Icom
makes their command sets available either in documentation provided with
the unit or from their web site. The rig manufacturers don't want to be in
the software business (and Icom should get out of it because their software
is terrible IMO) and they know that software availability sells radios.
Now, they may not give it to you before it's widely available . That's a
different kettle of fish.

The part I disagree the most about is the importance of the GUI. The user
interface is CRITICAL! If you don't get that right it doesn't matter if you
understand how the radio works or not. The user won't use the software.
Believe me, I have tried this and the GUI is the hard part. I had a program
working with an ICOM R-8500 in an afternoon. It could do the basics,
command the radio to scan, read back the frequency, set the frequency, etc.
That's very straightforward serial interface programming. ActiveX
controls make that part trivial.

The GUI was a bear! Drag and drop, multi-column tables, setting functions,
etc. takes a lot of thought when laying out the interface. The radio is
fairly complex and doesn't have the best control layout to begin with.
Making that into a useable interface is tough.

What I would like to see in radio software is the following...

1. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DIRECTLY IMPORT CSV FILES FROM THE PUBLIC FCC
DATABASE!

I should be able to do queries from the ULS, get the result as a CSV and
import that result into the program. This is not trivial to program but not
impossible either. This feature should be standard and a central feature
of the software.

Export to CSV should also be available so I back the radio memory up.

If you really get modern, do all the memory management with XML.

2. Be able to layout the memory by dragging and dropping the frequency
memory entries. In other words, you download the radio memory to the
program and work with it there, then upload the result.

Example: Louisville Metro PD channel 2 is in location 474 and I want it in
389. I should be able to drag it (or cut and paste) to 389. I should not
have to re-type it. This is supported in every modern OS. There's no reason
not to implement this.

Also for this one, use checkboxes for on/off features and pulldowns for the
multiple mode settings. Picture a spreadsheet and you get the idea
perfectly.

3. The design of the software should be oriented to frequency memory
management, not remote control. There is no need for remote control by a PC
for most applications. The radio works fine standing alone and you want to
be able to use it without a laptop (unless it's a WinRadio, duh! I know
that..) if you want to. Full blown remote control of a rig should be a
secondary "nice to have" feature.

4. If you provide audio recording inside the application, implement it
properly using a standard media format like MP3. By properly I mean with a
clear user interface. Make sure to implement some kind of metadata tagging
so that a person can actually tell what the recorded content is.
Frequency, callsign, description and time is a good place to start. The ID3
tags support this. USE STANDARDS!

In general, write your code as generically as possible. Keep all the
rig-specific controls in a separate DLL or other library. This will let
you implement different radios with very little additional work. What you
need is a program that implements common features that all radios have,
then specialize in product specific features like trunk tracking.

Do not dumb down your software because some idiot might be "confused".
Someone who is easily confused probably can't get the software installed
and the radio connected to the computer.

Visual Basic .NET is more than enough to do this job.

It would be worth your time to study the scanner market and figure out
where the need is. If the Uniden scanners are the market leaders, write
your code for them first.

Write a good application, install tough commercial copy protection
(authorization keys at least) and go for it! If you write a good one, I
think people will come because most of the available software sucks, some
loudly.

Michael Harpe, N4PLE
Sellersburg, IN
Old June 20th 05, 04:25 AM
Bob Parnass

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:30:43 +0000, Michael Harpe wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Parnass on this. The situation he
describes has not been true for some time. At least since the time of the
Icom R-8500.

In the original posting which began this thread, Bill Carty asked about
the Radio Shack PRO-95 scanner. The PRO-95 is made for Radio Shack
by GRE, which does not make the memory layout and cloning commands
freely available for their scanners.

Icom and Uniden both document and publish their command sets. I downloaded
them from public manufacturer web sites. They will provide this
information for the asking. ...

Some ICOM radios can be remotely controlled while others can
only be cloned or configured via software.

ICOM publishes remote control commands for some of their
models, but they have not freely published the information needed
to write configuration software for their "clone only" models. To
obtain this information requires signing a nondisclosure agreement.

The Uniden web site requires that one agree to
a series of preconditions before downloading the documentation for
their commands. That includes the BC396T documentation at:
http://uniden.com/productsupport_downloadfile.cfm?product=BCD396T&dw nld_id=67

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com