Old May 19th 05, 05:19 AM
CharlesH

Default Nextel Walkie Talkie??

Scott Berringer wrote:
Korbin Dallas wrote in
news
Thats OK, Nextel is going away. You should like the Sprint
replacement better...

I don't think so. How do you figure Nextel is going away? They merely
joined forces with the other company. Nextel is not going anywhere.

My understanding is that they plan to phase out the iDen technology in
favor of using the SprintPCS CDMA network. The PTT functionality may not
change from the user's perspective, but under the covers, it will become
a PCS service rather than the trunk-radio (SMR) service it is now.
Old May 19th 05, 02:12 PM
Scott Berringer

CharlesH wrote in newstUie.730$mK.591
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Scott Berringer wrote:
Korbin Dallas wrote in
news
Thats OK, Nextel is going away. You should like the Sprint
replacement better...

I don't think so. How do you figure Nextel is going away? They merely
joined forces with the other company. Nextel is not going anywhere.

My understanding is that they plan to phase out the iDen technology in
favor of using the SprintPCS CDMA network. The PTT functionality may not
change from the user's perspective, but under the covers, it will become
a PCS service rather than the trunk-radio (SMR) service it is now.

That's not what they said in the billing invoices I've gotten since the
merger. If they were to do away with iDEN, they'd have to supply all their
customers with new phones/radios.

That's not gonna happen.