Old May 24th 05, 04:46 PM
Jim

Default Analog scanner

Is there any of these available to buy?
Instead of punching in the frequency, I'd like to tune it like good
old AM/FM/SW radio.
TIA.

(P.S. I guess then it won't be called scanner but still)
Old May 24th 05, 05:32 PM
Alex Clayton

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Is there any of these available to buy?
Instead of punching in the frequency, I'd like to tune it like good
old AM/FM/SW radio.
TIA.

(P.S. I guess then it won't be called scanner but still)

Back when programmable scanners first came out I used to see some of these.
Had one for a while I used to use to listen to the Sheriff. Back then a
Programmable scanner was pretty pricey. The cost has dropped so much now
that there would be no point. Why do you want one? If you are looking to get
a scanner cheap Ebay always has them.
--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Old May 24th 05, 06:02 PM
jon

Greetings Jim! I haven't seen any that were just vhf fm, and or uhf
fm, but there are a bunch of radios that were made portable that are
multi-band AM, FM, SW, VHf, and aircraft. VHF usually covering
118-174. I have a few here. Most do pretty well on 118-136, but are
poor at best on 136-174. You will find a bunch of them on ebay, and if
you go to thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales they can be found
regularly. I have paid as little as $2 for them. The best of the
bunch that I have found is an Aircastle model 162F1 eight band. It has
a flip over front with a world map, sort of a cheap knock off of a
Zenith Transocianic. It has decent reception on most bands. It is
analog tuned so it is not a scanner. Even a cheap lower end old scanner
is a better buy than one of these unless you are wanting to add
shortwave to your listening. That is the reason I keep this Aircastle
as it is decent on shortwave. I have a lot of better shortwave radios,
but this one is different. Now that I have blabbered on get someone to
wake you up. I hope I said something that was of interest. Have a great
week! Jon.

Old May 24th 05, 06:27 PM
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

"Alex Clayton" wrote:

Why do you want one?

Maybe his only wish is to have a knob to turn to change frequencies?!
Even digital controlled scanners can offer this, but of course not all
of them.

regards - Ralph

--

Want to get in touch? http://www.radio-link.net/whereisralph.txt