Old July 4th 05, 07:24 AM
krackula

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:51:41 -0700, Scott en Aztlán
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:50:50 +0000, Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

I am guessing that they are close to the 16000 block of Von
Karman Avenue - the IPMobileNet HQ. Am I right?

While there may be one of them at that location, the one in the
picture is near the 5 freeway and Culver Drive. The other one I saw
was on Alton Parkway near Jeronimo.

IPMobileNet makes the XpressNet 802.11 Mesh System, which is
often set up using SmartCell access points on light poles.

That box looks like a standard NEMA enclosure that anyone can
use. The antenna looks like a WiFi (zoom in, it's longer than
it looks at first).

Hmm... Any idea which SSID(s) they use? I can use NetStumbler to see
if that SSID shows up. Also, there is a cable leading from the NEMA
enclosure to a cylindrical device on top of the pole; any idea what
that is? Is it some sort of sensor that is being remotely monitored
via the radio in the NEMA enclosure?

one thought about these : this device is located on a utility company
light pole. it's highly unlikely that it belongs to anyone
commercial other than the utility company / or the " city of "
people. could easily be part of the new equipment that
cities are installing that allow cops and city workers to have hand
held and " in car " wi-fi " ( mdt style ) data terminals.
we have those recently installed in my city and they resemble these
devices. they ' do not " show up on netstumbler type
receiving equipment .
Old July 4th 05, 03:27 PM
SAMUEL LA RUE

Wireless Modem network from the late 90's. Before I retired I lived in San
Francisco a few years, these units were on light poles about one per city
block.
"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
news
I've seen several of these devices attached to the street light poles
in Irvine, CA. Clearly there is some kind of radio inside the box, but
what is their purpose?

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

Old July 4th 05, 04:35 PM
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

krackula wrote:

they ' do not " show up on netstumbler type
receiving equipment .

In case it is really WiFi, then it can be found with such equipment,
when using the right equipment and the right software and waiting for
some real traffic on the network.

regards - Ralph

--

Want to get in touch? http://www.radio-link.net/whereisralph.txt
Old July 4th 05, 04:39 PM
Mike

I forget the exact frequency, somewhere in the 2GHz range. Xicom makes
the amplifiers.

Phoneguy wrote:

I'll accept something like that. What frequency range does the
terrestrial signal occupy?

I would have figured something smaller and several of them in a city,
not just one multi-kilowatt transmitter.

Mike wrote:

In My area we have cell phone extenders that look about like this.
XM terrestrial repeaters are usually on large buildings or hills and
they use a several KW Klystron amplifier, which takes a 6ft rack for
the redundant pair. Don't think that is stuffed inside the lamp pole....

Old July 4th 05, 05:08 PM
gray-beard

http://www.ricochet.com/about.aspx

GB

SAMUEL LA RUE wrote:
Ricochet wireless ISP, is the name of the company I found in my notes.
"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
news
I've seen several of these devices attached to the street light poles
in Irvine, CA. Clearly there is some kind of radio inside the box, but
what is their purpose?

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

--
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government
has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't

-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Old July 4th 05, 07:04 PM
Jack Myers

krackula wrote:

http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

one thought about these : this device is located on a utility company
light pole. it's highly unlikely that it belongs to anyone
commercial other than the utility company / or the " city of "
people.

Are we looking at equipment left over from the old Metricom Ricochet
service? Their strateqy was to operate a mesh network in the unlicensed
ISM band. By cutting a deal with the city to use lamposts they could
avoid having to pay the high utility pole attachment fees.

Old July 4th 05, 08:29 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:04:35 -0000, "Jack Myers"
wrote:

Are we looking at equipment left over from the old Metricom Ricochet
service?

Did they ever serve Irvine, CA?

According to

http://www.ricochet.com/FAQs_Compari...verage%20Areas

the closest market they serve is San Diego.

Old July 4th 05, 08:30 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:30:30 -0600, gray-beard
wrote:

That cylindrical device on the top is nothing more than a simple photo
cell to turn the street light on at dusk and off at dawn.

That seems likely. An identical device is also present on the poles
which lack the boxes.

Old July 4th 05, 09:32 PM
Jack Myers

Yes. http://tinyurl.com/arkyz