Old July 3rd 05, 02:40 AM
Phoneguy

Default [Fwd: Any Idea What This Is?]

Could it be a terrestrial repeater for either Sirius or XM?

The more I look at it, the more I think not. But it appears the power
tap is the grey module inserted between the lamp and the LDR switch,
even though the LDRs are typically grey, they can be black.

The antenna appears to be a 5/8 over 5/8 over 1/4 somewhere around
900MHz. Could it be a police or public service voting receiver?

Get a good zoom lens and take a shot of the label on the bottom of the
unit. It's possible that info would reveal a few hints.

Now that you've piqued everyone's curiosity...

Brad wrote:
"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
news
I've seen several of these devices attached to the street light poles
in Irvine, CA. Clearly there is some kind of radio inside the box, but
what is their purpose?

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

Could also be a microcell for cellphones. Ours are usually mounted about
halfway up the pole.
I can't make out the blak dome above. It may be a photocell to turn lighting
on at dusk, or perhaps a GPS antenna. If GPS, then the unit may be a DGPS
transmitter.

Brad.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:10 PM
Mike

In My area we have cell phone extenders that look about like this.
XM terrestrial repeaters are usually on large buildings or hills and
they use a several KW Klystron amplifier, which takes a 6ft rack for the
redundant pair. Don't think that is stuffed inside the lamp pole....

Mike