Old August 21st 05, 04:57 AM

Default Outdoor Antenna Questions

Hello All, I've got some questions about outdoor antennas. I monitor a
motorola type II trunked system in Colorado Sprigns, CO.

I've got a 20-043 discone from RS, a uniden bcd396t, and 70 feet of
RG-6 quad-shield of cable inbetween. The antenna is on a mast 12 feet
in the air above the house.

Much of the radio communication is choppy; is that a artifact of how I
set up the system? Is this a good setup of cable/antenna/radio? I've
read some information about tuning antennas, but is that something I
still need to do in this case?

Thanks!

Old August 21st 05, 07:13 PM
Don

first check all connections
then get the ant up in the air 30 feet minimum about housetop
if you still have problems then cut coax run
70 feet coax for a 12 ft above house run.....
that's first place i would look
was coax new or used when you put it up

--
Don
SEMPER VIGILIS
ups.com...

Old August 22nd 05, 02:31 AM

I got another 6 feet, so it's about 20 feet in the air, and that was
it. I have a tin roof, and that might have been blocking when the
antenna was lower.

I also routed the coax around the eve of the roof to the office,
instead of through the garage to the basement up through the floor. It
might have had some interference in the basement.

I have one single run of coax, 70 feet, and I used compression bnc
fittings on both ends. I got the cable right off the spool at a local
home improvement store.

Thanks!

Old August 22nd 05, 10:35 PM

Oh I agree! I've got 6 gauge colid copper from the bottom of the mast
to an 8-ft ground stake (shared with house utilities). I still need to
find an inline supressor though for the coax.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:52 PM
Bob

I agree. Further to that, your RG8, RG213, or heaven forbid RG58, has
much more loss per unit length than a good quality RG6. Any signal lost
due to the 75ohm cable will be considerably less than the loss of the
other feedline.

Good quality RG6 makes fantastic scanner coax, but you have to be very
careful with your terminations and adaptors.

Again, it doesn't matter. No scanner is 50 ohms across hundreds of MHZ
anyway, and a 1.5 to 1 mismatch is nothing, especially on receive only.

BDK

The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM