Old November 13th 05, 11:34 PM
E.F.

Default Antenna's for Dummies?

Is there a web site out there that bring's it down to the basics?? I want
to build an antenna for my portable YB400 but do not understand what a balun
or turner is or what it does. I also need to find out if my small back yard
is large enough for an antenna. What is overload and how do I prevent it...

....stuff like that

Thanks

EF

Old November 13th 05, 11:35 PM
E.F.

Default Oops

Sorry, wrong group...

They are right next to each other on my list...

EF

Old November 14th 05, 04:44 AM
Al Klein

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:34:17 -0500, "E.F." said in
rec.radio.scanner:

Is there a web site out there that bring's it down to the basics?? I want
to build an antenna for my portable YB400 but do not understand what a balun
or turner is or what it does. I also need to find out if my small back yard
is large enough for an antenna. What is overload and how do I prevent it...

Nothing wrong with posting the questions in this group.

How you build an antenna depends on the frequency you want to build it
for.

Unless you're talking about a frequency lower than 10 MHz or so, a few
square feet is enough. Vertical antennas don't need much space.

Overload is simply giving the receiver more signal than it's designed
to take. Like putting 40 ounces of water in a pint container. Unless
your receiver is within a foot or two of a portable transmitter, or 10
or so feet from a base transmitting antenna, it won't do any permanent
damage, but it can cause all sorts of interference.

Try
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22receiver+overload%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial
to read about it.