Old December 25th 05, 08:07 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
jon

Default TV Antenna for Scanning?

Greetings! This has probably been asked many times before so please
forgive me for asking again, but how well does an outdoor TV antenna
work for scanning? I figure it would tend to be somewhat directional
which is not all bad if you are trying to hear a certain direction, but
how much back end rejection would one expect?
My main scanner is a Radio Shack 2037, no trunking abliities. It goes
through 956mgz I believe.
I had also thought about using a splitter to go to the main TV, and
then also to my small TV and to the scanner via another switch. Would
that degrade the input signal to much to make it of real value? I also
have other antennas for use with the scanner so I would have other
choices for antennas.
Just curious. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

Old December 25th 05, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Ralph Mowery

"jon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings! This has probably been asked many times before so please
forgive me for asking again, but how well does an outdoor TV antenna
work for scanning? I figure it would tend to be somewhat directional
which is not all bad if you are trying to hear a certain direction, but
how much back end rejection would one expect?
My main scanner is a Radio Shack 2037, no trunking abliities. It goes
through 956mgz I believe.
I had also thought about using a splitter to go to the main TV, and
then also to my small TV and to the scanner via another switch. Would
that degrade the input signal to much to make it of real value? I also
have other antennas for use with the scanner so I would have other
choices for antennas.
Just curious. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

Some have reported good results with the TV antennas. Only problem with it
is that you have to turn the elements vertical. There is about a 20 db
signal loss if you don't.

Old December 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Junior Member

Location: East Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
Greetings! This has probably been asked many times before so please
forgive me for asking again, but how well does an outdoor TV antenna
work for scanning? I figure it would tend to be somewhat directional
which is not all bad if you are trying to hear a certain direction, but
how much back end rejection would one expect?
My main scanner is a Radio Shack 2037, no trunking abliities. It goes
through 956mgz I believe.
I had also thought about using a splitter to go to the main TV, and
then also to my small TV and to the scanner via another switch. Would
that degrade the input signal to much to make it of real value? I also
have other antennas for use with the scanner so I would have other
choices for antennas.
Just curious. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

The scanner directional antennas are basically, a TV antenna rotated 90 degrees. You can just turn the TV antenna on its side, and drill mounting holes. This is what the Grove Omni-Beam antenna is. You can cut off the UHF TV "wings" and it will work as a directional. Just aim the "fingers" in the direction of the signal to receive. Sorry of this is not technical enough.
Old December 27th 05, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
jon

Greetings to All!
Thanks for the input! Reloader, I don't understand the advantage of
removing the UHF elements. It would seem to me that it would be an
advantage to leave them on for UHF reception. Help me with this if you
can. Thanks a bunch for what you have given and in advance for any
other help you can offer! Have a great new year! Jon in South
Carolina.

Old December 27th 05, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
jon

Greetings Ralph!
I can see from what you have said that it would not then be practical
to use it for both TV and scanner. I would bet my 13 element 2 meter
beam would do a dandy job for directional use. What do you use for
scanner antennas? Thanks for your input and thanks in advance for any
additional help you may offer! Jon in South Carolina.

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM