Old January 1st 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Larry Copenhaver

Default Pro 95 question about rebanding

I just received a Radio Shack Pro 95 as a Christmas gift. I have really
enjoyed listening over the past few days. Because I have been away from
scanning for several years, I have been reading about scanning on the
Internet over the past few days and have come across the issue of rebanding.
My local Radio Shack employees do not seem to know anything about the
rebanding issue so I am hoping to find information here. I have found that
Radio Shack does not list this radio as being upgradable. My question is
this: After rebanding in the near future, will this scanner be obsolete and
useless? I live in rural Southwest Virginia.

Thanks for any info.
Larry

Old January 1st 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Doc

The most accurate answer involves a question. Are your local Public service
frequencies in the 800MHZ band?
If so the answer is maybe. Originally it was thought only the frequencies
being moved to consolidate Nextels channels would be affected, but it turns
out that even those frequencies in the unaffected portions of the 800MHZ
band may be reassigned to new frequencies. This is because channel spacing
for the new consolidated band may be adjusted for all users. If so that
would affect everyone in the new public service bands.
The definitive answer has not been put out by the powers that be. The first
channel moves will start around June of 2006.

Old January 1st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Larry Copenhaver

The amount of time that I used the Pro 95 so far has been very limited. It
appears that using the search function, I have found frequencies in the 800
MHZ band only a couple of times. These have sounded like police
transmissions, but I do not know for sure- at the time, I didn't know how to
copy the frequencies into a bank so I have not been able to listen on any
sort of regular basis. I am still trying to figure out the trunking feature
of this radio. Almost everything that I have picked up has been in lower
bands.

Old January 1st 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Ken

"Doc" wrote in message
The most accurate answer involves a question. Are your local Public

service
frequencies in the 800MHZ band?
"Larry Copenhaver" wrote in message
Radio Shack does not list this radio as being upgradable. My question

is
this: After rebanding in the near future, will this scanner be obsolete

and
useless? I live in rural Southwest Virginia.

The Pro 95 will not be upgradable & IF your public service bands are Trunked
800 Mhz, you'll be S.O.L. But I wouldn't call it absolute & useless,
there's still
plenty of bandwidth to enjoy. You just won't be able to listen to trunked
800Mhz public service ferqs. It's still a keeper.

Old January 2nd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Alex Clayton

"Larry Copenhaver" wrote in message
The amount of time that I used the Pro 95 so far has been very limited.
It
appears that using the search function, I have found frequencies in the
800
MHZ band only a couple of times. These have sounded like police
transmissions, but I do not know for sure- at the time, I didn't know how
copy the frequencies into a bank so I have not been able to listen on any
sort of regular basis. I am still trying to figure out the trunking
feature
of this radio. Almost everything that I have picked up has been in lower
bands.

Go to the Radio Reference site and they will explain to you how it all
works. They may have the info on the police and fire in your area.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]