Old February 4th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
wally

Default Calgary, Alberta Canada

Can anyone help me out?

I have often parked close to the airport and seen people using scanners and
it has peaked my curiosity.

I know nothing about the subject of scanning but would like to learn.

My questions a Where can I buy a scanner?
How much will it cost?
What can I listen to?
Do I need lessons or training?
I heard that the police use Digital, can I
buy a digital scanner in canada?
Is scanning a worthwile hobby?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Old February 6th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Hi Wally: I live in Calgary, and been into scanning for about 17 years.
It is a very worthwhile hobby. You can get scanners at "The Source by
Circiut City" (formally Radio Shack). They have one for 200 bucks, and
another for 500 dollars, plus GST of course. You can listen to just
about anything, including air, trains, taxis, fire, EMS, RCMP , in fact
almost any mobile radio systems. You do not need lessons or training,
however if you have questions, this is a good newsgruop to use. As for
a digital scanner, I'm not sure if any are available in Canada. You
may want to visit my free website @ www.geocities.com/burgessfred33. I
have an extensive list of frequencies. Another good website is
www.radioreference.com.
Fred Burgess