Old February 5th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Frank

Default Best portable antenna for airbands?

I know there are some good ones out there (Diamond RH77CA, Maldor AL-500H).
I want some real users opinions on which hand-held scanner antenna works
best for airbands (civil & military)?

Frank

Old February 6th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bob

Some of the large, multi-section, multi-band ham antennas like the
RH77CA and AL-500H are much better than the stock duckie, but they were
really designed for a few specific ham radio frequencies. The fact they
work better than stock is more a testament of how bad the stock antenna
is, not that the others are that magical on odd off frequency bands like
VHF and UHF mil air. There is an antenna specifically designed for the
90 to 512mhz band that does work consistently well, especially in the
VHF and UHF air bands, which lie in the middle of its working range. If
you are lucky you can find one surplus for a cheap price like I did. The
antenna is a 14” long rubber duck made by Thales (Racal) for the PRC-148
MBITR multi-band hand held. It costs around $245 new (P/N 3100662-501)
and you have to change the BNC connector on your scanner to TNC or use
an adaptor. I have used one of these antennas on 2m, 220 and 440mhz
amateur freqs and it works noticeably better than the supplied antennas
with various hand helds I have compared it to. It also pulls in VHF and
UHF air way better than the stock duckie on my PRO-43, which is what the
original post is about. You did ask what is the best, didn’t you??
Bob

Old February 6th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 01:55:42 GMT, Bob wrote:

Some of the large, multi-section, multi-band ham antennas like the
RH77CA and AL-500H are much better than the stock duckie, but they were
really designed for a few specific ham radio frequencies.

Another possibility is a telescopic antenna - just adjust it for 1/4
wavelength on whatever frequency you need.
Old February 6th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

"Bob" wrote in message m...

snip... The
antenna is a 14” long rubber duck made by Thales (Racal) for the PRC-148 MBITR multi-band hand held. It costs around $245 new

oooph!

Old February 11th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bill Crocker

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
Some of the large, multi-section, multi-band ham antennas like the RH77CA
and AL-500H are much better than the stock duckie, but they were really
designed for a few specific ham radio frequencies.

[clipped]
You did ask what is the best, didn’t you??
Bob

Where did you find that the Maldol AL-500H was designed for ham radio? All
references I find on the web clearly state it is designed for 116-174MHz and
230-360 MHz aircraft bands. There's also no mention that they're even
suitable for use on 2m/70cm amateur ham radio bands.

Bill Crocker

Old February 16th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bob

Your right, I had the AH-510 and other hamster antennas on my mind which
do work nice on commercial bands but some people mistakenly recommend
for air band.
The AL-500 is a great air and mil-air antenna.
Bob

Bill Crocker wrote:
m...

I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
Sony ICF-SW7600GR antenna jack acmac Shortwave 15 October 26th 05 01:53 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM