Old February 13th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

Default jav-232 cable: where to get?

is there anywhere on this earth I can get a jav-232 cable?
www.javiation.com still says:
'Please Note that the JAV-232 is currently unavailable.'
surely there might be somewhere else I could get one?

Old February 14th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:36:54 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

is there anywhere on this earth I can get a jav-232 cable?
www.javiation.com still says:
'Please Note that the JAV-232 is currently unavailable.'
surely there might be somewhere else I could get one?

What are the connectors? Maybe some other cable will do the same job.
(My Yaesu cable works on my Radio Shack scanner.)
Old February 14th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jonathan Clough, Javiation, Bradford, UK

In article , tg
writes

Hi,

is there anywhere on this earth I can get a jav-232 cable?
www.javiation.com still says:
'Please Note that the JAV-232 is currently unavailable.'
surely there might be somewhere else I could get one?

The JAV-232 as listed on our web site was only ever available through
us.

As it stands at the moment I do still have some blank PCB's ready to
populate however some of the original components used are no longer
available. Alternatives are listed by the likes of Farnells but I have
yet to check/confirm that they are of the same dimensions and/or will
work in the same design.

What radio was it primarily to be used with ?

--
Cheers,
JC
Old February 15th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

"Jonathan Clough, Javiation, Bradford, UK" wrote in message ...
In article , tg
writes

Hi,

snip
What radio was it primarily to be used with ?

thanks for your response.
My scanner is an AR8200 MkII. I got myself a standard CC8200 (for the meantime) and modified it, changing the serial connector end
into a breakout box with an audio jack but unfortunately there's no squelch/mute on the audio, and I would like a cable that can
give me this.

Old February 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

wrote:

is there anywhere on this earth I can get a jav-232 cable?
www.javiation.com still says:
'Please Note that the JAV-232 is currently unavailable.'
surely there might be somewhere else I could get one?

What are the connectors?

PC serial port plug to breakout box, picture he
http://www.javiation.co.uk/javint.html
more details here
http://www.javiation.co.uk/manuals/jav-232.doc

Maybe some other cable will do the same job.

I haven't seen a cable yet that will do the same as the jav-232. If there is another cable I'd be grateful to know about it.

Old February 16th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:41:52 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

PC serial port plug to breakout box, picture he
http://www.javiation.co.uk/javint.html
more details here
http://www.javiation.co.uk/manuals/jav-232.doc

There are *many* RS232/TTL cables available. Look on Don Starr's
cable page
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/Cables/cables.html to start.
Old February 16th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

wrote:

PC serial port plug to breakout box, picture he
http://www.javiation.co.uk/javint.html
more details here
http://www.javiation.co.uk/manuals/jav-232.doc

There are *many* RS232/TTL cables available. Look on Don Starr's
cable page
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/Cables/cables.html to start.

thanks but this page seems to be only for Radio Shack scanners and mine is an AOR scanner with the special Options socket.

Old February 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

wrote:

PC serial port plug to breakout box, picture he
http://www.javiation.co.uk/javint.html
more details here
http://www.javiation.co.uk/manuals/jav-232.doc

There are *many* RS232/TTL cables available. Look on Don Starr's
cable page
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/Cables/cables.html to start.

thanks but this page seems to be only for Radio Shack scanners and mine is an AOR scanner with the special Options socket.

RS-232 is RS-232, TTL is TTL. Wiring a plug adapter is the easy part.
Old February 17th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

wrote:

PC serial port plug to breakout box, picture he
http://www.javiation.co.uk/javint.html
more details here
http://www.javiation.co.uk/manuals/jav-232.doc

There are *many* RS232/TTL cables available. Look on Don Starr's
cable page
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win96/Cables/cables.html to start.

thanks but this page seems to be only for Radio Shack scanners and mine is an AOR scanner with the special Options socket.

RS-232 is RS-232, TTL is TTL. Wiring a plug adapter is the easy part.

with an AOR control lead (CC8200) there is a small circuit board tucked inside the serial port plug housing, it's not a case of
just wiring a plug adaptor although I wish it was. I expect the jav-232 cable (if it ever exists again) would contain even more
circuitry. Soldering sections togther is easy. Getting hold of the sections - that's the hard part.

Old February 17th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:04:27 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

"Al Klein" wrote in message ...

RS-232 is RS-232, TTL is TTL. Wiring a plug adapter is the easy part.

with an AOR control lead (CC8200) there is a small circuit board tucked inside the serial port plug housing

Same with all other RS-232 to TTL converters.

just wiring a plug adaptor although I wish it was. I expect the jav-232 cable (if it ever exists again) would contain even more
circuitry. Soldering sections togther is easy. Getting hold of the sections - that's the hard part.

The cables on Don's site make it easy - they do the level conversion.
All you have to do is the connector conversion. I haven't seen a
schematic of the jav-232, but I'd be veru surprised if it was anything
more than a bidirectional level converter.