RadioBanter

-   -   Why Noise When No Broadcast Happening, etc. ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/88533-why-noise-when-no-broadcast-happening-etc.html)

Robert11 February 15th 06 12:46 PM

Why Noise When No Broadcast Happening, etc. ?

Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

BDK February 15th 06 03:04 PM

Why Noise When No Broadcast Happening, etc. ?

In article ,
says...
Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Well, yeah, that's what it is, partly from the radio (not a whole lot of
it in most cases, except the really cheap/bad designs) and
atmosphere/ionosphere conditions. Part of the noise from the radio
itself is due to it being so sensitive and widebanded.

Not only is it typical, it's a 100% certainty. They all do it, from a 50
buck cheapie to a $2000 dream machine.

That's why they all have a squelch knob on them.

BDK

Ralph Mowery February 16th 06 12:22 AM

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm

as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

The radio while operating FM is acting as a very high gain amplifier. It is
amplifing around one million or more times. Random electron movement in
conductors are generating enough noise to be heard . This is normal. It is
the property of FM to start quiting the noise as a RF signal is picked up.
AM has much of the same noise but most receivers have an automatic gain
control that cuts the gain of the amplifier somewhat. Lightning, some
motors with brushes, and many other devices make much of the noise you hear
on an AM receiver.

Buzzygirl February 16th 06 01:29 AM

"Robert11" wrote in message

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

Yep.

In fact, if it *weren't* the case, I'd wonder what was wrong with my
scanner!

Jackie