Old February 15th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Robert11

Default Why Noise When No Broadcast Happening, etc. ?

Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old February 16th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Ralph Mowery

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm

as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

The radio while operating FM is acting as a very high gain amplifier. It is
amplifing around one million or more times. Random electron movement in
conductors are generating enough noise to be heard . This is normal. It is
the property of FM to start quiting the noise as a RF signal is picked up.
AM has much of the same noise but most receivers have an automatic gain
control that cuts the gain of the amplifier somewhat. Lightning, some
motors with brushes, and many other devices make much of the noise you hear
on an AM receiver.

Old February 16th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

"Robert11" wrote in message

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

Yep.

In fact, if it *weren't* the case, I'd wonder what was wrong with my
scanner!

Jackie

ABOUT - RF Noise (RFI/EMF) and Ferrite Chokes plus More Reading . . . RHF Shortwave 3 October 29th 05 09:38 AM
ECM Noise on CB Zombie Equipment 6 June 4th 05 06:48 PM
'Crackling' Noise on HF Band RadioGuy Shortwave 7 April 20th 05 01:04 AM
Open Letter to K1MAN [email protected] Policy 13 April 15th 05 07:43 PM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM