Old March 4th 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
Sean Ingram

Default Real Scanner Listeners.

I am driving down the road and I hear a call to either Police/Fire/Rescue
about an accident and IF It is on the same road -- I have every RIGHT to
know so that I can slow to a safer approach until I see it and just let the
other assholes yapping on the cellphones roll on by.

If I am on the Vol. Fire Dept. or Rescue then I may continue as a first
responder in a safe manner and not cause another accident.

But I am not on either the Fire or Rescue/EMT teams, so therefore I will
maintain my watchful eye for the accident ahead.

I have, in rare situations, rendered assistance with traffic awareness until
Virginia State police/County units and fire/rescue arrived and advised them
that I was not a witness, yet I stopped to check if someone had called in.

They welcomed my assistance and thanked me and said,"Alright, Sean. Thank
you very much and be careful going home / to work. We'll take it from here,
now. Good job."

That's what involvment should be. Yet, some localities will look at you as
though you are impersonating law enforcement.

I have lived in Amelia County, Virginia for 35 Years.

I know a fraction of Local Law enforcement units, Fire and Rescue/EMTs, I
also know some in the Virginia State Police.
They know me --- IN a Good Way.

I would like to ask a question to those who might know what I am talking
about.
(This has been my concern for quite some time and wanted to know if it is
just me or some folks feel uneasy about me being around them.)

When I was real young, I used to climb up into the cab of the Fire Trucks or
Ambulance, or in the police car.
I am grown up now, and when I go near these vehicles I notice some members
look at me in a "Who the hell is he andwhy is he coming over here?" look.
As an EMT or Firefighter or Police officer, I would greet someone,
regardless of age, in a cordial manner and invite them to look inside or
sit inside as long as they didn't take off or scare someone with the
siren/horn (with a chuckle.)

I feel a repulsive attitude coming from those who are on the Fire or
Rescue/EMT teams when I even come near them.

What have I ever done or said to these people that are acting this way and
yet turn around and are laughing and joking with those in their "clique".
I would speak to them in a cordial manner and all they would do is look at
me and shrug and I would hear them whisper to the others that "his daddy
runs the schools that's why I don't talk to him."

I am also a Ham Radio operator and in Amelia County, Virginia -- your'e not
considered good company around EMTs and Firefighters and Local Law
enforcement.
You're looked down upon because you have radios that can receive their
frequencies.
It Is Illegal for anyone to transmit on those frequencies, unless they are
with the County Sheriff/ Fire or Rescue.

We don't mount Red lights on our vehicles where ever we go.

We have Mobile Command Stations, antennas, radios, and equipment that can
take the place of cell phone and/ landline phones when power is disrupted.
We use HF, VHF and UHF radios and can do autopatches and conduct emergency
nets and training operations over amateur radio frequencies.
We can talk to other stations around the world.

And yet, we are considered bad company around others when helping out in a
disaster situation.
Some places in the U.S. Welcome Hams!
I guess it depends on who really knows you anymore when you're a Ham than
it's who you know or don't know.
(I tried to make it sound good or make sense of it)

I will now come down from my tower now.

Tnx.

Sean
KD4ADV

Old March 4th 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
CLFE

"Sean Ingram" wrote in message
[...]

I fall into each of the aforementioned catagories. Scanner listener, (Former
EMT and Paramedic) - now Vol. Firefighter, Amateur Radio Operator AND EMA
Coordinator.

I am just going to "suggest" that given today's attitude of "be aware" -
many are doing just that. Around an EMS or Fire Rescue Unit that may carry
drugs, perhaps there is fear of drugs or the paraphenalia being stolen.
After all, at least around here - what is in those boxes - "better" be
accounted for.
Otherwise EMTs, Firefighters "should" try to give some guided tours of the
equipment if time permits. It instills a sense of respect and knowledge in
the public - knowing that those groups are equipped to deal with most any
emergency and the firefighters/medics are their friends.

As to Hams - many Public Service folks who are not hams could care less
about hams - or CB for that matter. To them, you're in the way. Trying to
play a role you're not suited for. We fought an uphill battle here to get
some of our guys to accept ham. One fateful night when the fire radio was
swamped during a major flood and rumors running rampant about a dam burst -
I was able to allow several to listen to a couple hams "standing" near
"that" dam - and say with certainty - the dam was NOT being compromised.
They were able to then disregard the still unconfirmed rumors on the fire
radio and believe all was going to be ok. They were proven right when the
dam did not burst. "That" sold them. NOW - when there is an emergency - they
think I'm naked if I don't show up at our Command center with any radio
equipment. They're so used to watching me set up my emergency comms gear - 2
meters - 440 and H.F. I'd do CB too, but many of those I knew - no longer
are on CB and the rest don't get on until the wee hours of the morning to
chat. That is of no help to me. Anytime we have a warning issued for flood,
tornado, etc...... most who may not hear the radio - see me and another
person heading to the command post - they say - Gloom and Doom are going to
the station - something is up - they know we don't go there for nothing. At
the very least - if not carrying my Ham Comms equipment, I have at least a
portable scanner, my Fire pager, Fire Radio Portable and my laptop with my
disaster plan stored on two separate disks - with me.

By standers or people going down the highway CAN stop at an accident to make
sure things are taking place - BUT - you must be very careful of any
hazards. You could come on some chemical, downed power lines, etc. The best
thing to do is yell to the parties if you see any - asking if they're ok or
whatever - relay that to 911 from a safe distance. Some brave souls "will"
go to the people injured or trapped and have been heroes. Others have become
victims.

IF you have a decent rapport with the local Police - Fire - EMS - you may be
on your way as to Ham ops - teach someone of them who may lend an ear - what
Ham can do. Get them involved. You can tell them too - that many of their
brothers and sisters around the country are Ham Ops. One thing is - in a
disaster - the "Cell" phones DO tend to be swamped. It happpened during 911
and the great Power Outage of the North East. IF they go down - Technicians
do NOT get there immediately to repair the damage and even at that - may NOT
be able to repair it very soon. Some comms sites are in remote locations -
very tough to get to in a good day. Hams can set up Comms instantly -
portable repeaters, etc. There just aren't enough "Technicians" to service a
"multiple" comms strike - should one occur. In our area, there are like 3
companies who service like 4 counties. THAT is a lot of coverage. A major
hit like Katrina - can and will cause havoc.
So, Hams CAN come in handy - IF they are utilized. BUT the Hams MUST
understand - though they may do the comms, they aren't to do anything
they're not supposed to OR release info not cleared for "them" to release.
This isn't difficult to set up but it can't be done in a day and certainly
without willing participants.
I welcome Hams in my coverage - we operate a "net" and I assign whoever is
not in imminent danger - as "Net Control" - provided they can do so without
panicing. I have people in the areas most important to me (but not in harms
way) - give me updates on what is going on - that I need to know. I ask
"Specific" questions. They already know to keep any unwanted traffic OFF the
air. Hams and Public Service CAN AND DO work well together if given a
chance - and some training is held. They need to be told what to report,
what NOT to report on the air - usually if need be - and Public Service
Comms are down - a Ham will accompany one of those Service folks. There is
also what is called INCIDENT COMMAND. This is established at most any
emergency. The first person in - in charge - takes control and sets it up.
They use this system to run the entire emergency from start to finish. It
encompasses many facets of the emergency. There is "supposed" to be at least
ONE person from any group involved Police, Fire, EMS, EMA, Public Works,
Ham, whoever is involved - there at the Command Post to report to the
Incident Commander and to take his orders and pass them along down the
chain. I know there has been an article or two in the magazines that "most"
of these services get at their stations - as to Ham Radio involvement and
"suggested" using it.

This is the quick and dirty explaination in trying to answer your questions.
I try not to go into too much detail so folks not in the system will get
confused. There are references online as to Incident Command and so on - you
could get some more detail and idea as to function.

clf

Old March 4th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
mah

Sean,

I'll echo what the other person has said. And add my own spin.

1. At an incident, bystander help has been inconvenient and
appreciated depending on the day. Had someone come up to the car and
yank a door open on an unstable car prior to the jaws being ready for
safe extrication. On another day, had a bystander with medical training
who calmed a victim until we could get on scene.

I'll be honest, for general safety purposes, I'd rather have people who
are trained stopping than just anyone. They know the risks and should
be better able to make an informed risk - benefit decision.

2. When working a scene, my vehicle is off limits unless you are a
responder. I'll prepare equipment and be set up for care necessary as
soon as the patient hits the back. Afterwards, until I clean up it may
be unsafe. The notes on the marker board and EKG strips on the counter
are medical information and controlled. Depending on the call, the
interior may need to be cleaned and mopped because of body fluids.

Otherwise, I'm open for visitors. I enjoy having people stop at the
station or during a PR event. I work for a government funded service
therefore it's "their"" ambulance not "mine". Their tax money bought
and equipped it. I just get to use it every day I'm on shift. Kids of
any age get a chance to see the rig and what it can do. If they have a
Walter Mitty moment sitting in the seat, that's OK by me. I get a
chance to do a little public education on our phone first, Knox box, or
other programs. It's time to help people not be afraid of all the
"stuff" that gets carried in the house or to their car when help is
needed. And there's that priceless moment - I've had family members
come up on these events and say "Were you working the day my
mom/dad/child went in the ambulance? Thank you for being there."

3. Scanning the current spectrum is getting to be a pain in the butt.
Used to have a broadband scanner or two and keep track of everything in
a 30 mile radius. We had low band VHF dispatch, high band VHF
operations, and UHF for one police department. Today, it's VHF high
band and 800 trunked. But, can't listen to it all. The VHF stuff is
still ok. Trunked is another matter. One area uses Motorola, everyone
else is EDACS. Thought my RS2052 was doing good then they added a
couple frequencies to the tower which changed the channel pecking order
and I've been unable to get it to resynch.

Why is scanning important? Our department can't afford 30+ EDACS
portables (+ monthly access fees) for all members. With a decent
tracking scanner, people can keep track and know when things are hopping
before their pagers go off for an off shift call back. As well we can
monitor adjacent districts that we don't want to purchase rights into
their system for our trunked radios.

just my 0.02

MAH
Old March 5th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
Sean Ingram

True, my position would be to monitor traffic to a lane open away from the
scene. I have these triangles that I set up behind us so that others can see
them. When actual units arrive and set up theirs I will remove mine and
pack them up and let them take care of it.

And, I don't dare put anyone in my vehicle in reference to what you said.

No victim is to be moved ---- Unless there is a danger of a fire from the
accident. This is before help arrives. If it the vehicles are not on
fire --- All Occupants are to remain in their vehicles! Because if one is
not supposed to remove them and if they do --- an injury could occur and
things could lead to be paralyzation and a lawsuit against the person who
moved the accident victim whene there was no danger of the vehicle catching
fire.

Sean

"mah" wrote in message ...
[...]

Supporting theory that Antennas "Match" to 377 Ohms (Free space) Dr. Slick Antenna 183 October 2nd 20 10:44 AM
Help with RS Pro-97 and trunking OregonMike Scanner 21 January 12th 06 04:10 AM
Scanner Crystals Bill Scanner 0 November 26th 05 08:45 PM
Reflection Delay is it real??? Peter O. Brackett Antenna 7 September 20th 03 11:55 AM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM