Old May 24th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Robert11

Default Questions On Simplex, Duplex, etc.

Can someone please explain the major differences between simplex, half
duplex, full duplex, etc. ?

What is there inherent in the theory that prevents two way conversation,
like on a phone line, in the simplex mode (such as in maritime VHF/fm ship
to shore conversations) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old May 25th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
mikeFNB

the inherent theory is one of simple logic really:

Simplex involves only one freq, either party can use it but it is like a
game of ping-ping
only one can transmit [TX] at the same time, the other must listen [RX].

Half-Duplex or more correctly: Split, involves two freqs, but again they
cannot be used at the same time
one station can only TX whilst the other must RX. [but talk-through can be
enabled by a remote base station].

Full Duplex is like a phone conversation, two freqs, both parties can RX &
TX at the same time.

sadly, these terms are often misinterpreted or used to describe radio
systems incorrectly.
esp in scanner listings!

mike

Old May 25th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Reed

Robert11 wrote:
Can someone please explain the major differences between simplex, half
duplex, full duplex, etc. ?

What is there inherent in the theory that prevents two way conversation,
like on a phone line, in the simplex mode (such as in maritime VHF/fm ship
to shore conversations) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Info here may help explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_...munications%29
Old May 25th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
SparkS

Bob,

As a retired USN radioman I'd like to take a stab at this. If the few
remaining grey matter cells will
cooperate. I didn't read the Wiki article, I'll do that next to see if it's
correct. GGGGGGGG

Simlex is a one way only circuit. Like a fleet broadcast. Or a TV or Am/FM
radio station. It uses a single freq.
One side transmits and if all goes well the other side is able to copy
what's being sent. It's not always necessary
to have two way comms. Cable TV used to be basically a simplex ckt but know
there's all sorts of Buck Rogers
stuff out like interactive cable.

Duplex is silmultaneous comms both ways. It requires two separate freqs, one
for send the other for receive.
A ship shore RTTY circuit on HF is an example. Each side can be "talking"
to the other side using a TTY machine.
(Okay so TTY machines went out with the buggy whip. It's still a valid
concept.)

Half Duplex is as the name suggests nothing but back and forth comms on a
single freq but NOT at the same time.
Two way radios are a good example. One side talks and other listens and then
the other side talks and the first side listens.

Have you ever tried to talk on a phone while the other person is talking?
Sure, but it doesn't work because you
both end up talking on top of each other. So yes it's 'possible' for both
sides to talk at the same time but this is not
a very good solution if the idea is to communicate. When you get into AM
modulated voice when you combine two
voice freqs the two freqs actually add and at the same time subtract from
each other. I realize that may not make
sense but I don't want to get too technical. Am sure Wiki can and has done a
much better job that I can.

Before everyone jumps all over me I'm talking about very basic ideas and
not any of the more modern modes
like cell fones and digital and trunking radio systems and satellite etc etc
etc. As someone once said "the times they
are a changin'" but no matter how marvelous things get the basics will
always remain the same.

Regards,

SparkS
Old May 25th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
John Kasupski

On Thu, 25 May 2006 05:44:00 GMT, "SparkS" wrote:

As someone once said "the times they
are a changin' "

Bob Dylan.

Maritime Monitoring: Simplex and Duplex Questions Robert11 Shortwave 2 December 2nd 05 12:08 AM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean Homebrew 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
The FAQ (Well, Question 1, at least) Airy R.Bean General 20 February 22nd 05 07:04 PM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM