Old August 13th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Super Radio III Tuner Re-Thread?

Hi -

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of how to re-thread the GE
Super Radio III vernier? The Service Manual doesn't discuss it.

I knocked mine loose while fixing my radio. I had a problem last year
at this time where after a half hour of use, the radio would slowly
tune tself across the band like an invisible hand was turning the dial.

I tried to diagnose it, but the problem went away and didn't return
after hit the tuning pot at R2 with freeze spray.

I was OK for about a year, until it re-occurred this summer. I hit R2
with the freeze spray again, and the problem would only go away
momentarily. I looked at the bottom of the circuit board and it
appeared quite dirty with flux. I theorized that in humid weather the
rosin was affecting the circuit. I cleaned the PCB around R2,
accidentally knocking off the tuning wheel. Now the problem seems
fixed but I can't get everything back together as I didn't take notes,
never intending to remove the tuning wheel and thread.

I think the string threads around spools 1,2,3,Loop Capstan Twice?,4,5
and then I can't quite figure out how to thread from 5 to the spring or
hook on the wheel and from the spring or hook eventually to spool 6.

(ASCII art facing front of radio)
1 ------------------ Vernier ----------------------------- 2
| 5 |
6 ------------- Spring \ 3
Wheel "D" slot at R2 \ |
Hook \ Capstan Loops?
\ |
-----------4

I'd be grateful if anyone with a GE Super Radio III and a hand mirror
could describe or show how to re-thread the vernier through the spools,
capstan, and tuning wheel.

Dan Nygren

,

Old August 13th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com Diagrams G.E.Superadio III

Might be something there.
cuhulin

Old August 13th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

) writes:
Hi -

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of how to re-thread the GE
Super Radio III vernier? The Service Manual doesn't discuss it.

I'm sure someone had it on a webpage at some point, because I'm
sure I saw it.

The obvious place to check first is David Moison's GE Superradio FAQ,
at
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html

There are various things there about fixing the calibration, but I
see nothing after a short glance about stringing the dial. It does
link to a page that has the service manual online, for others who
might want it.

I also have this page
http://www.geocities.com/rbrucecarter/sr3.htm
bookmarked, but while it might be useful to owners of the radio,
nothing about stringing the dial.

I thought it must have been discussed in this newsgroup, but a quick
search using "ge superradio string", which seems like useful terms,
doesn't show anything.

Michael

Old August 23rd 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Superadio III Tuner Re-Thread?

wrote:
Hi -

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of how to re-thread the GE
Super Radio III vernier? The Service Manual doesn't discuss it.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm just posting this here for the
archives.

The following is a description of how to re-thread a GE Superadio III
vernier tuner as the Service Manual doesn't discuss it.

Background:

I knocked my tuning wheel loose while fixing my radio. I had a
problem last year at this time where after a half hour of use, my
then ~9 year old radio would slowly tune itself across the band
like an invisible hand was turning the dial.

I tried to diagnose it, but the problem went away and didn't return
after I hit the tuning pot at R2 with freeze spray.

I was OK for about a year, until it re-occurred this summer. I hit
R2 with the freeze spray again, and the problem would only go away
momentarily. I looked at the bottom of the circuit board and it was
quite dirty with flux. I theorized that in humid weather the rosin
was affecting the circuit. I cleaned the PCB around R2, accidentally
knocking off the tuning wheel. Now the problem seems fixed but I
couldn't get everything back together as I didn't take notes, never
intending to remove the tuning wheel and thread.

The small loop on the string attaches to the spring hook on the tuning
wheel, then around spools 6,1,2,3, loops capstan twice,4,5 and then
from spool 5 to the big hook on the wheel:

(ASCII art facing front of radio)
1 ------------------ Vernier ----------------------------- 2
| 5 |
6 ------------- Spring Hook \ 3
Wheel "D" slot at R2 \ |
Big Hook \ Two Capstan Loops
\ |
-----------4

Details:

Equipment Needed -

1) Locking forceps or very small needle nose pliers to grip thread.
2) Small hand mirror to view underside of tuning wheel where thread
hooks to.

Procedure -

A) Place vernier at upper limit of band (108 MHz FM / 1700 KHz AM).
B) Tune pot R2 to upper limit of band
C) Place small string loop over tuning wheel spring hook.
D) Attach wheel so hooks face back of radio.
E) Thread string from wheel to spool 6 to spool 1 to vernier.
F) Slowly turn wheel clockwise, spooling string on wheel until vernier
is at lower end of band (88 MHz FM / 530 KHz AM).
G) Thread string from vernier to spools 2,3, twice around capstan, 4,5,
then through wheel slot. Place big loop around big hook using forceps
or very small needle nose pliers to grip end of loop, a mirror, and
then snagging loop on the hook.

Tips -

I broke the string at the knot of the big loop because I didn't
have locking forceps or a very small needle nose pliers. I recovered
by making a bowline knot in broken end, and then with strong thread,
another bowline loop chained to the new big loop I just made which I
then attached to the big hook.

Dan Nygren

,