Old August 17th 06, 08:28 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqz
I'm considering 2 different shortwave receivers and would appreciate the
benefit of your experience. I want to be able to copy SSB and CW as well as
general radio, so that limits the market.

The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR.
Fran:
I own an SW7600GR and I really like it. I have handled a G4000A in a store and I didn't like the feel of the keypad.

Here is a classic side-by-side radio review from radiointel.com, which covers the YB400PE (earlier version of the G4000A), ATS-909, and SW7600G (earlier version of the SW7600GR):

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

Some of the points mentioned in the review:
* SSB reception on the YB400PE is distorted
* SW7600G/SW7600GR features synchronous detection, which is a feature that reduces signal fading
* SW7600G takes 4 AA batteries; YB400PE takes 6 AA batteries
* YB400PE supposedly is better for FM reception

The Eton E5 is another radio in that price class, and is one of the newest products available. It is based on the electronics in the Degen/Kaito 1103 but with a much better user interface. I have one of these as well, and I really like it (for its size, audio quality, user interface, shortwave sensitivity), but it seems to use up my rechargeable batteries a lot quicker than the SW7600GR.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old August 17th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I need help making a choice (re-post)

Buy the Sony 7600GR (best in class by far).

"mcqz" wrote in message
I'm considering 2 different shortwave receivers and would appreciate the
benefit of your experience. I want to be able to copy SSB and CW as well

as
general radio, so that limits the market.

The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR.

They
appear to be pretty much equivalent in features. What would be your
preference? Or is there something else that's better in the same
portable/feature/price range?

Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ

Old August 17th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"weatherall" wrote

Here is a classic side-by-side radio review from radiointel.com

radiointel is full of sheisse

Old August 17th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
"weatherall" wrote

Here is a classic side-by-side radio review from radiointel.com

radiointel is full of sheisse

I find radiointel.com to be hit or miss. I've read some great reviews
there with extremely helpful information. At other times, I'd be
willing to swear that money had changed hands. I think it's worth
reading but, as always, a degree of caution is in order.

Old August 17th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Thanks to all, even the somewhat offbeat/offtopic/justplain off

I took the info and suggestions and looked around a little more and a little
more deeply and I've ordered the Sony.
Thanks.

"mcqz" wrote in message
I'm considering 2 different shortwave receivers and would appreciate the
benefit of your experience. I want to be able to copy SSB and CW as well as
general radio, so that limits the market.

The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR. They

Old August 18th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You might be interested in ordering that Sony ANPL whatever it is
antenna too.Joe might be along sooner or later to explain about that,or
somebody else might.

y'all know what a Sooner Dog is?
cuhulin

Old August 18th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have no idea what an ANPL antenna is.
I seem to recall that Sooners are from Oklahoma, but I'd bet that there is
no connection to the Sooner Dog, so I'll bite - No, what is a Sooner Dog?
fran