RadioBanter

-   -   Time signal on 790? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/102127-time-signal-790-a.html)

Steve August 22nd 06 03:31 AM

Time signal on 790?

HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Anyone know what this is?

Steve

Beloved Leader August 22nd 06 03:49 AM

Time signal on 790?

Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location....

Which is?

Mike August 22nd 06 03:56 AM

Time signal on 790?

In article . com,
"Steve" wrote:

Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Anyone know what this is?

Steve

The morse is "RR".

This is probably Radio Rebelde in Cuba. It's sort of a news/talk
station, with the time signal every minute. They also say "Radio
Rebelde" every minute.

I hear it every night here in Florida. It's on a couple other
frequencies also.

Mike

Mike August 22nd 06 04:07 AM

Time signal on 790?

In article ,
Mike wrote:

In article . com,
"Steve" wrote:

Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Anyone know what this is?

Steve

The morse is "RR".

This is probably Radio Rebelde in Cuba. It's sort of a news/talk
station, with the time signal every minute. They also say "Radio
Rebelde" every minute.

I hear it every night here in Florida. It's on a couple other
frequencies also.

Try 860 also.

Mike

Steve August 22nd 06 04:11 AM

Time signal on 790?

Beloved Leader wrote:
Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location....

Which is?

Brooklyn, NY

Mike August 22nd 06 04:32 AM

Time signal on 790?

In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Sorry, it's Radio Reloj, not Radio Rebelde. See

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/archive/irca/msg10200.html

for some details. It's a pretty good catch in NY.

I hear this and 860 every night.

Mike

[email protected] August 22nd 06 05:07 AM

Time signal on 790?

Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Anyone know what this is?

Steve

Where are you located (roughly)?

[email protected] August 22nd 06 09:08 AM

Time signal on 790?

Steve wrote:
wrote:
Steve wrote:
HF conditions at my location are poor tonight, as they have been for at
least the last week. So, I decided to spend some time with the Quantum
Loop. On 790 khz, buried beneath a bunch of commercial stations, I'm
hearing a time signal. On the minute there's some morse...an 'R' and
something else that I haven't quite made out yet.

Anyone know what this is?

Steve

Where are you located (roughly)?

See post #6 above.

For a second there I thought you might be in Florida, i.e. close to
Cuba. But now I get it. Because it is Morse code, you are decoding it
in the presence of many broadcast stations.