Old August 22nd 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Lightning damage

My micropower ISM/HiFer "beacon" got fried Sudnay morning by lightning.
We had late 4rth of July fireworks show at 6:30AM and I found out
Monday
about the damage. The friend's house where I had my unit operating
expereinced
several direct hits. There was damage to his both of his ~100' Oak
trees,
every electronic item in the house was toast. Most incandescent light
bulbs
were blown. The trees will have to come down.

He said the first bolt hit one tree and about 5 minutes alter a second
bolt
hit the other tree. A third bolt hit the power pole/line feeding his
home and
the power transformer exploded. It sounds like he had a fun morning.

My unit did not get a driect hit, no burnt parts, but every fuse was
silver
plated and ever semiconductor was shorted. The PIC that controlled the
unit was the only part visibly damaged and it had a hairline crack. The
Rio
MPP-300 display shows some segments but it won't play anything.

The 13.560000MHz crystal survived so I might build a simple CW unit.

I am lucky that it survived a year and have no complaints, the only
part
I regret lossing is the electronic 63dB step attenuator. Those are a
little pricy.

Terry

Old August 23rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

At about 2:28 AM this morning,I heard the weirdest loudst roll of
thunder moving very fast over my house and for about three minutes
following that,I heard a sort of a low on again/off agan humming sound.I
had never heard anything like that before.I dont doubt everybody else in
Jackson heard it too.
cuhulin

Old August 23rd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thats why I had those two too tall pecan trees in my yard (one in my
front yard and one in my back yard) cut down.They were too close to my
house and leaning toward my house too much.I think houses act as sort of
''magnets'' to some trees.It cost me $800.00 to have both of those
seventy feet tall pecan trees cut down and chipped up and hauled off.
cuhulin

Old August 24th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in
:

Thats why I had those two too tall pecan trees in my yard (one in my
front yard and one in my back yard) cut down.They were too close to my
house and leaning toward my house too much.I think houses act as sort of
''magnets'' to some trees.

No, not magnets, it's just that your house sucks.

SC

Lightning Strike Dr. Artaud Shortwave 22 July 22nd 05 06:11 AM
FYI: NOAA Lightning Safety Awareness Week K4YZ Policy 0 June 8th 05 02:25 AM
lightning protection Mark Keith Shortwave 0 August 1st 04 09:51 AM
Inside a surge protector tommyknocker Shortwave 30 December 20th 03 05:54 PM
Points Of Perception...What Do YOU Call "Collateral Damage"...?!?! Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 8 October 21st 03 03:31 AM