Old August 29th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Racal 1792 and backlight LCD

Is it possible to change a non backlight LCD to backlight LCD and will the
backlight work without any other modification? Are there any modifications
for having backlight on a non backlight version?
Where can I buy spare LCD's for my 1792?

Regards

Harry

Old August 29th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Harry" wrote in message
. ..
Is it possible to change a non backlight LCD to backlight LCD and will the
backlight work without any other modification? Are there any modifications
for having backlight on a non backlight version?
Where can I buy spare LCD's for my 1792?

Regards

Harry
Hi Harry,

While I have never done a backlight for the Racal, I have done numerous Lowe
HF-150. There, the procedure involves removing the foil backing from the
display while being careful not to remove the polarizing film that lies
directly beneath the foil.
Next a plexiglass sheet the size of the area to be illuminated is uniformly
sanded on one side with very fine grit paper- the idea is to frost the
surface allowing light to escape from this front surface. A pair of slots
are milled into each end of the sheet that will allow a T1 3/4 LED to press
fit in (each LED will be "looking" towards the middle of the sheet). Finally
an Avery self adhering white label is adhered to the back side of the plexi
sheet. I also polish all edges so that light will only escape out the
frosted front. The sheet is finally sandwiched between the back of the
display and its socket.
Here is a Lowe HF-150 after backlighting:
http://www.parelectronics.com/pics/hf150bl.jpg

73,

Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.