Old August 29th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question about my RF signal generator

Last night I ran the generator and managed to pick up a signal without
an antenna attached. I tried this once I first purchased it to no avail
and was repeatedly told I'd need an antenna for it to work - but not
only did it broadcast a signal on the target frequency, 144.445, but I
could pick up the signal on over 30 other frequencies, ranging from
144.120 to 145.645 - and the signal was very strong on certain
frequencies.

I thought generators could only send one signal out to a select
frequency, not dozens to dozens of frequencies. And the scanner is
located in the same room as the generator, so atmospheric conditions
between antennas have remained the same ever since I started the
experiments. In addition to that, how could it work without an antenna
attached, since the telescoping antenna has to be measured out the
desired length to transmit at the desired frequency? When I did attach
the antenna the signal was stronger of course, but it still broadcast
at the target frequency (and the other frequencies) no matter what
length I put it at. Any plausible explanations for either occurrence?

Jeff

Old August 29th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What is the name/model of this gadget?

Old August 29th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

HP 608 C RF Signal Generator.

Old August 31st 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:

Scanners are notoriously over-sensitive. You need to get the receiver
away from the generator. Read the Part 15 advisory.

What is the Part 15 advisory?

And why would the sig gen work without an antenna attached one time but
not all the others if both were in the same room in the same settings?

Are you implying the scanner broke up the signal and captured it on
dozens of frequencies, or was the signal that got sent out somehow
broken up between antennas?

Please be more specific. Thanks.

Jeff

Old August 31st 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own one or two old signal generators.I dont know a thing about how to
use them though.One of them is sitting in my clothes washing room (I
need to either fix my washing machine or check the
www.clarionledger.com classifieds for a good one,I am getting tired
of washing my dirty clothes out in my bathtub) with a bunch of other
junk.I dont know where the other one is,and I dont care either.
cuhulin