RadioBanter

-   -   Sangean ATS606a (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/103590-sangean-ats606a.html)

Diogenes September 6th 06 05:28 AM

Sangean ATS606a

I need to get the back of this thing. How's it done??
It's performance has dropped off on FM (markedly) & SW (almost totally
deaf) and I wonder whether the telescopic antenna is not making a good
connection to the board.

tia

D.

Billy Smith September 6th 06 12:17 PM

Sangean ATS606a

Diogenes wrote:

I need to get the back of this thing. How's it done??
It's performance has dropped off on FM (markedly) & SW (almost totally
deaf) and I wonder whether the telescopic antenna is not making a good
connection to the board.

tia

D.

Do you have an external jack with that model? You could always try that
with a piece of wire and a 1/8th plug? Maybe 15 to 20 feet of speaker
wire or 18 gauge copper. I don't have one of those models but instead a
909 so I am not all that familiar with the 606. My 909 has screw
terminals on the back to remove the back. The best way to go about this
is to find a nice clean surface that is flat and be careful not to lose
the screws. Get a small screwdriver like for eyeglasses and then look
where the antenna connection is and see if you have popped a solder
joint. I know that the RS DX 390 was bad about popping solder joints and
I was constantly having to solder again and again.

I can't remember the model of Sangean which was the same as the DX-390
but maybe it was 818 or something like that. But you should scan for
broken solder joints. I still have my 818 and it still works except it
takes a while for the radio to warm up because it has a BFO type squeal.
Hope this helps

[email protected] September 6th 06 12:47 PM

Sangean ATS606a

When the soldier on the whip went, I used the external antenna jack;

- then sent it off to C Crane; where they had the tools to open it up &
resoldier it..

dxAce September 6th 06 12:51 PM

Sangean ATS606a

wrote:

When the soldier on the whip went, I used the external antenna jack;

- then sent it off to C Crane; where they had the tools to open it up &
resoldier it..

Nothing beats good soldiering.

I think General Douglas MacArthur said that.

dxAce
Michigan
USA