Old September 22nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newb Question - is my Dipole setup right?

* Windom Antenna -vice- Dipole Antenna
An alternate Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna design
that could be rigged in the same space would be a
Windom Antenna (Off-Center-Fed-Dipole) of 70 Foot
Tip-to-Tip with a Short-Arm of 27 Feet {8.7MHz} with a
Long-Arm of 43 Feet {5.4 MHz}; and Tip-to-Tip of 70
Feet {6.7 MHz}. The Windom Antenna would give you
a little better broadband Characteristics then the Dipole
Antenna.

I just put together a spread sheet and played with different
combinations of long leg and short leg lengths and I am missing
coverage with this dipole. I did find the 43 ft and the 27 ft combo
you suggested to be best and easiest for me to do. I did not mention
that the attic is L shaped. I used the 35' each leg thinking a balance
dipole meant the legs were of equal length. I can add upto another 7'
extension to the end of the revised 43' leg in the future. I popped my
knee last night while in the attic and will have to wait several weeks
for it to heal and strengthen before I do too much attic crawling.
Getting old sucks
Adding the extra 7' will add some coverage mainly in the 60m band.

Thanks for the advice.
Brian