Old September 26th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Cable Ohm Question

I am aware of the 50 and 75 ohm coax and the 300 ohm twin lead BUT I am
not sure what this means.

I know about ohms as resistance in resistors but how does that pertain
to cable.

Example - If I have 50 feet of 300 ohm twim lead ribbon cable and 50 ft
of 75 ohm coax could I measure this ohm reading with a meter?

Just a question that has bugged me for a while.

Thanks
Brian

Old September 26th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am aware of the 50 and 75 ohm coax and the 300 ohm twin lead BUT I am
not sure what this means.

I know about ohms as resistance in resistors but how does that pertain
to cable.

Example - If I have 50 feet of 300 ohm twim lead ribbon cable and 50 ft
of 75 ohm coax could I measure this ohm reading with a meter?

Just a question that has bugged me for a while.

Thanks
Brian

Wikipedia is your freind Brian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax

Old September 27th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
wrote:
I am aware of the 50 and 75 ohm coax and the 300 ohm twin lead BUT I am
not sure what this means.

I know about ohms as resistance in resistors but how does that pertain
to cable.

Example - If I have 50 feet of 300 ohm twim lead ribbon cable and 50 ft
of 75 ohm coax could I measure this ohm reading with a meter?

50, 75, and 300 ohms refer to the characteristic impedances of the cables.
In simple terms, impedance can be thought of as AC resistance (an ohmmeter
measures DC resistance).

The length of the cable doesn't affect its characteristic impedance, but it
does affect signal loss. Fortunately, most cables have low loss at
shortwave frequencies.

--
Bill McFadden http://www.rdrop.com/users/billmc
CAUTION: Don't look into laser beam with remaining eye.
Old September 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bool Poosey,, I have to watch Death of a Cyclist flick on ''Electric
Ice'' Radio TB now.
cuhulin

Old September 27th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Climbe up the ladder and wait for me!!!! Wallace Beery in that old
movie.

Bungalow Hotel in Vinh Long,Vietnam in 1964 didn't have a stairway up to
the second floor.I once climbed up that ladder,, if y'all get me driff?
www.devilfinder.com Bungalow Hotel Vinh Long Vietnam

Watch m II come along and say I raped that woman in Vinh Long.
I did not,,, she gave it to me for free.
cuhulin,not a rapist

Old September 27th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I gave her five dollars,,, that was big money back in those days.
cuhulin

Old September 27th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What the H E double hockey stick are you talkin' about?

I want some of whatever you are having.

Brian

Old September 27th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian isn (move doggy) cracy.
cuhulin

Old September 27th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bool sheet,,, doggy hasme figgers loccked ozy,Thang God I am not thhat
crazy#
cuhulin

Antenna cable question. jazu CB 4 October 15th 04 12:22 AM
Yeasu VX-1R Packet Radio Cable Question Scott Van Nostrand Equipment 4 January 4th 04 03:32 AM
Antenna cable loss query AES/newspost Scanner 7 December 11th 03 10:55 PM
Antenna cable loss query AES/newspost Shortwave 7 December 11th 03 10:55 PM