Old October 2nd 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default and yet another antenna question

Hi all,

I have been reading some of the antenna threads on here since I am replacing
a poorly made dipole, and have a question. I think I have decided to make a
receiving antenna similiar to the grove skywire. It is 66' long with the
feedpoint at 22'. I assume that this is similar to a Windom. That actually
fits me pretty good, I have a tree that is 22' from my house, and the house
is 44' wide. So I can run the short piece to the tree, and lay the long
section on my roof. Here is the question: Which side of the antenna (long
or short side) goes to the shielded section of the cable? Is the cable a
big factor? I have a half a spool of tv cable I could use instead of buying
something new. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Old October 2nd 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Build A Four (4) Wire Windom Antenna For Shortwave Listening (SWL) [Was : and yet another antenna question]

Bill wrote:
Hi all,

I have been reading some of the antenna threads on here since I am replacing
a poorly made dipole, and have a question. I think I have decided to make a
receiving antenna similiar to the grove skywire. It is 66' long with the
feedpoint at 22'. I assume that this is similar to a Windom. That actually
fits me pretty good, I have a tree that is 22' from my house, and the house
is 44' wide. So I can run the short piece to the tree, and lay the long
section on my roof. Here is the question: Which side of the antenna (long
or short side) goes to the shielded section of the cable? Is the cable a
big factor? I have a half a spool of tv cable I could use instead of buying
something new. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill - Read - Eight Bands On One Coax - The Windom Antenna
WINDOM ANTENNA = http://www.kh2d.net/windom.cfm
http://www.stroobandt.com/antennas/windom/index.html
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7478
http://www.packetradio.com/windom.html
http://www.qsl.net/sv1bsx/windom/windom.html
http://www.vk3eg.org/technical/xlwindom/xlwindomhtm.htm
http://www.smeter.net/antennas/windom2.php
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...93edbde721fab6

Interesting - The Old Gray Mare Ain't What She Used to Be
or the Fundamentals of Off-Center-Fed Dipoles (Windoms)
-by- L. B. Cebik [W4RNL]
WINDOM = http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup9.html

Shortwave Broadcast and Amateur Radio Bands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_bands

BUILD A FOUR (4) WIRE WINDOM ANTENNA
FOR SHORTWAVE LISTENING (SWL) :

1 - Four (4) Wire Antenna Elements that are
each cut to a Quarter-Wave-Length (1/4 WL) in Length.
+ Top-Long-Arm Horizontal (Flat) Wire Antenna Element
cut for the 49-Meter Band at 40.5 Feet
+ Top-Short-Arm Horizontal (Flat) Wire Antenna Element
cut for the 31-Meter Band at 25.8 Feet
+ Bottom-Long-Arm 30* Sloping (Angled) Wire Antenna Element
cut for the 41-Meter Band at 33.5 Feet
+ Bottom-Short-Arm 30* Sloping (Angled) Wire Antenna Element
cut for the 25-Meter Band at 15.9 Feet
Note - The Top-Flat-Arms are 66.3 Feet Tip-to-Tip
and the Bottom-Sloping-Arms are 54.1 Feet tip-to-Tip

2 - Four-to-One Matching Transformer ((4:1 Balun)

3 - Coax Cable feed-in-line with a Vertial-Up-Leg of about 18 Feet.

TABLE : Windom Antenna "Multi-Band" Quarter Wave Length (1/4 WL)
Shortwave Band = 1/4 WL Wire Antenna Element
120 Meter = 102.5 Ft.
90 Meters = 74.5 Ft.
75 Meters = 62.3 Ft.
60 Meters = 50.2 Ft.
49 Meters = 40.5 Ft.
41 Meters = 33.5 Ft.
31 Meters = 25.8 Ft.
25 Meters = 20.7 Ft.
22 Meters = 17.9 Ft.
19 Meters = 15.9 Ft.
16 Meters = 13.9 Ft.
13 Meters = 11.4 Ft.
11 Meters = 9.5 Ft.

somewhere on the big blue marble - iane ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Marble
{ Earth - The Third Planet from the Sun }
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_planet_from_the_Sun
.
Shortwave Listener Antennas = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все *адушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \