Old October 12th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ping:Guy Atkins

After rereading Dallas' "MW and LW Noise reducing Antennas", on page 4
I see he uses an 8' ground rod. Perhaps for this antenna configuration
the ground isn't as critical as I thought or that I have experienced
with other antennas, or maybe LA has very good soil conductivity.

I have found the variation used by Mark Connellly, WA1ION, "Another
Look at Noise-Reducing
Antenna Systems (July 1992), to give excellent service.
http://www.members.aol.com/WA1ION/nrants.pdf
I did not add R1 and R2 in my final configuration as they made no
detectable difference here.
I have read several complaints of MiniCircuits transformers being
easily damaged by transcients,
and causing IMD from stong/local MW stations. Since my personal
nightmare MW on 770KHz has
never caused any issues and since the tree supporting my antenna was
blasted and the transformer
survived I have my doubts as to MC transformers being all that
delicate.

Another fun antenna configuration to play with is
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/dipole/short_dipole.htm.
While not exactly a MW DX combo it does offer some utility in
conjunction with a phaser to cancel
local MW stations.

Terry