Old November 2nd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default STIX HIX NIX IBOC

Some people go crazy (Well,they are crazy anyway) in America on
Halloween.Hallowen articles at www.drudgereport.com
I have to watch Trees Company Too on Telebision now.
cuhulin

Old November 2nd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I know WHA on 970 KHz runs IBOC up to an hour after sunset and starts up
about an hour before sunrise.

I had read somewhere that this is authorized for stations under certain
circumstances which I do not recall.

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:
I wasn't aware that anyone was running IBOC overnight.

I was going to say "well, he was listening at 5:30am - and if he was
west of Thunder Bay then he'd have been on Central Time". The numbers
still don't work out for most stations:

Station October "FCC sunrise"
WABC 0500 CST
WCCO 0630 CST
WLW 0645 CST
WHAM 0530 CST
KFAB 0630 CST

(that WLW figure doesn't make sense, I think I made a typo somewhere.
Probably 0545 or 0600.)

So it would have been "daytime" at WABC & WHAM but not at any of the
other stations. I am making the rash assumption the unnamed station on
1110 was KFAB -- maybe it was WBT? (which probably would have indeed
been in "daytime")

We do occasionally observe major stations running IBOC at night. It
must be some kind of FCC-sanctioned test as it happens far too often to
be explained as technical errors at some of the country's
best-engineered stations. Usually that doesn't happen at this many
stations at the same time though.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Halloween,,,,,, Halloween,,,, Fun,Fun,Fun,,,,, Pull down your britches
and Run,Run,Run,,,,,
cuhulin

Old November 2nd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message

From the theory stuff I read off the web, the worst IBOC interference
should be on the station 20 kHz away, as the sideband(s) for the primary
digital channel are on 15-25 kHz (on both sides) from the carrier.
Unless the IBOC station had reduced their analog bandwidth and were
using the second channel (which runs from 5-15 kHz, both sides).

Mark Zenier

As far as I know, all the IBOC stations have a maximum audio bandwidth of 5
kHz. 8 kHz AM audio bandwidth is supposed to be an option, but that
degrades the IBOC performance.

Frank Dresser

Old November 3rd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

"ve3..." wrote in message
ups.com...
I noticed a full moon, we just finished
Halloween, and all the witches have been casting spells like crazy.
Could it be that IBOC is a creation of Satan? Just asking.

Either a creation of Lucifer himself or one of his higher placed minions.

Very good. That wasn't a guess, was it?

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/spe.../mi7182002.htm

mike
Old November 3rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message

From the theory stuff I read off the web, the worst IBOC interference
should be on the station 20 kHz away, as the sideband(s) for the primary
digital channel are on 15-25 kHz (on both sides) from the carrier.
Unless the IBOC station had reduced their analog bandwidth and were
using the second channel (which runs from 5-15 kHz, both sides).

Mark Zenier

As far as I know, all the IBOC stations have a maximum audio bandwidth of 5
kHz. 8 kHz AM audio bandwidth is supposed to be an option, but that
degrades the IBOC performance.

All I know is trying to listen to weak station the next channel over
(10KHz) either way is impossible.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 3rd 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

But what are you hearing on that weak station? Certainly nothing that I
do not know already.I gave up dxining years ago.I only dx them crazy
wimmins all over (via the enternets) the World nowdays.I am doin better
than you are.
cuhulin

IBOC Mark Roberts Broadcasting 0 February 3rd 06 02:08 PM
Here is "Why" I am 'skeptical' about DRM and IBOC RHF Shortwave 25 January 16th 05 09:00 PM
IBOC interference complaint - advice? WBRW Broadcasting 11 February 11th 04 01:08 AM