Old November 13th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Receving radio on your computer

I was at a presentation recently about the history of radio, and one of
the presenters was from a company called Flex-Radio which produces a
"blackbox" that you can hook to your computer, and receive shortwave
radio. I looked up the cost, and it was around $1500. I was wondering
if there was a "blackbox" that you could hook to your computer to
receive just AM and FM, which might be priced in the fifty dollar
range. I searched on the interent, but what I found was somewhat
comfusing to someone who is not an expert.

Thanks

Tom

Old November 14th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Take a look at Radio Shark from Griffin Technology.

It is a radio that plugs into a USB port and allows you to listen to and
record AM and FM radio stations. It also will record automatically if you
leave your computer on.

I have found the software a little buggy, but otherwise useful.

Norm Lehfeldt

Mark Sherman wrotf:

wrote:
I was at a presentation recently about the history of radio, and one of
the presenters was from a company called Flex-Radio which produces a
"blackbox" that you can hook to your computer, and receive shortwave
radio. I looked up the cost, and it was around $1500. I was wondering
if there was a "blackbox" that you could hook to your computer to
receive just AM and FM, which might be priced in the fifty dollar
range. I searched on the interent, but what I found was somewhat
comfusing to someone who is not an expert.

Thanks

Tom

Don't forget that MANY broadcasters...AM, FM and SW supply streaming
audio from their websites. No purchase required.

Old November 14th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you are looking for a "software defined" AM/FM radio than the answer is
absolutely not.

The Flex-Radio is "software defined" and in a nutshell means it is
constantly being improved and is upgradable with software.

ps.com...