Old November 23rd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default US TV Series that omit the existance of SW broadcasting or skywave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

wrote:
EMP isn't going to stop your Rolex.

Of course it will.

No, it won't.

If you were a rich idiot who bought a FAKE one.

A fake one is not a real one.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 23rd 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default US TV Series that omit the existance of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...

dxAce wrote:
A fake one is not a real one.

And you know it was real how? That was the joke. She bought a very expensive
fake. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old November 23rd 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

dxAce wrote:
A fake one is not a real one.

And you know it was real how?

Try reading again.

Old November 24th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

wrote:
EMP isn't going to stop your Rolex.

Of course it will.

'
Actually, no it won't. Rolex uses a self winding mechanical movement.

Even the good fakes use automatic movements.

Only the cheaper fakes would be harmed by EMP. And that's
questionable, given the steel case sheilding.

Old November 24th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

'
Actually, no it won't. Rolex uses a self winding mechanical movement.

Even the good fakes use automatic movements.

Only the cheaper fakes would be harmed by EMP. And that's
questionable, given the steel case sheilding.

I wasn't aware of the show but I gather it's about what happens in a small
town after some sort of super-duper EMP pulse, more intense than the
Starfish prime test which couldn't even manage to burn out mass quantities
of early 60s germanium transistor radios.

Wow. An EMP pulse strong enough to destroy everything with a circuit board,
yet has no effect on everyone with a central nervous system.

I think I'll stick with domestic shortwave radio for doomsday info. It's
every bit as misinformative as TV, but far more entertaining.

Frank Dresser

Old November 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
So Watch the show, and enjoy the fun. It is the funniest thing since
"Voyage to the
bottom of the Sea".

IMHO it's very accurate. It depicts a world that has not seen the
Soviet Union in 17 years. While the fall of the Soviet Union was good,
it signaled the end of the awarness that the U.S. might be attacked. Even
9/11 did not bring it back.

So the people of Jericho live in a world were there is no need to prepare
for anything and they did not. Their biggest problem would be a tornado
or freak storm, and everything would be back to normal in a day.

Why would there be shortwave or any other radio for that matter. All
of the battery operated radios would have been wiped out in the EMP,
and the tube ones died when the electricty went out.

There was news and activity on the ham bands, but the one ham in town
did not use his radio, he lent it to the mayor who had someone set it
up who did not want the townspeople to know what happened.

If it was for sinister reasons or just to protect the morale of the
people, we'll probably learn later. The radio itself was destroyed in
the EMP, it was transistorized except for tubes in final part of
the transmiter section.

Notice there is no town or school library? There are some home canned
foods in the storm cellar at the farm, but only peaches and pickles.
No one had a dehydrator, no one canned or pickled, and when the food
started to spoil, they had a great party instead of grabbing every possible
container and canning it.

So it's pretty realistic if you live in a world where things are worthless
if they are not new, food comes from a supermarket, electricity from an outlet,
information comes from the internet, and everything is delivered
"just in time".

I see that here, there are NO canning supplies in the entire country
and there is only one company that sells food dryers. The guy that
imports dryers is trying to get a license to import vacuum sealer machines
for home use, but they will be equivalent to a week's wages for the average
wage earner here.

My advice to you is to watch it as warning.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM
Old November 23rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default US TV Series that omit the existance of SW broadcasting orskyw...

I don't watch that Jericho crap.I am watching the 80th Macy's
Thangsgiving Day Parade.But at about 11:30 AM,I have to go to my
sister's and brother in laws home for Turkey Day dinner.My little doggy
will get some Turkey Day dinner too when I get back home.That is
reality.
cuhulin

Old November 23rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
wrote:
EMP isn't going to stop your Rolex.

Of course it will. If you were a rich idiot who bought a FAKE one.
I thought it was a great inside joke.

WHat bugged me about that scene was if you could see a high altitude
blast, complete with EMP, you probably got hit with so much raditation,
that the show wold not last the episode.

So Watch the show, and enjoy the fun. It is the funniest thing since
"Voyage to the
bottom of the Sea".

What I find is the problem with it is that the people live like there
will be a truck with food showing up tomorrow. Not very much conservation.
They expect that food will suddenly fall out of the sky. :-)

Geoff.

A multi-megatone device going off at ~400 miles up would produce
minimal
surface effect except for the EMP and the optical pulse which would
likely
fry the optic nerves of anyone looking at it. And given the double
pulse
effect of thermo-nukes, the first dimmer pulse would attract the views
attention just in time for the whammy.

You might want to take this over to misc survivial.

Real data from military studies about EMP effects and containment have
been linked to.

I will stand by my comments about it is high humour. They haven't done
anything a wise or prudent group would. An example of what to not do.

Terry