Old December 10th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Shack Canada Closing Down

"Ben" ) writes:
What are the locations of those 9 stores? None in Kingston Ontario!

I thought they gave a list at the website (though the website seems
to have now disappared, with only the announcement up), and my recollection
was that the stores were clustered around the Toronto area.

That would make sense, build up something in relatively small area
with a big population, and then spread from there. Certainly that's
the way it was in the early seventies when Radio Shack came to Canada
initially. There were stores in Ontario, and you could get a catalog
by mail (though it's been so long I don't recall if you could order
by mail at the time), but it took a few years before the stores
started sprouting here in Montreal. At the time it seemed like a fairly
long time, but I would have gotten the catalog in the summer of 1971 or
'72 by the latest, and there was a store nearby in '73 or '74.

Michael

Dan Say wrote:
ve3... wrote:

Radio Shack Canada has announced on its website that it is
closing its nine stores in Canada on Jan 31, 2007 in order to
concentrate on its
core business in the USA. Sales begin today but warranties and
returns could be difficult. There are details on its website:
http://radioshack.ca
Some discount stores are selling a good selection of RS products
at 50% off.

Radio Shack Canada is a few stores owned by
the U.S. parent.
Radio Shack stores were owned by Tandy International (InterTan)
in Canada (Barrie, Ont.) and for (copyright) intellectual
property reasons, changed their name to The Source by Circuit
City, the new owners of InterTan in Canada. [Woolworths bought
InterTan in Australia and they were turned into the iconic
Dick Smith stores.]
Those 950 Source stores are all still active and don't look much
different.
Quick summary at:
Linkname: RadioShack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioSh...ions_in_Canada
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_by_Circuit_City
--
-\_,-~-\___...__._._._._._._._._._._._.
For real Dxing,

Old December 10th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

According to my phone book,there are nine Radio Shack stores in and
around this city of confusion I live in.One of them is just across
Highway 80 from me at Metrocenter Mall,about 275 foot steps from doggys
couch.The next nearest one to me is a mile and a half South of doggys
couch.
cuhulin

Old December 10th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ben wrote:
What are the locations of those 9 stores? None in Kingston Ontario!

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''
I recall Edmonton, Mississauga, and Calgary listed on their old
website. I noticed one generic clearnce warehouse in Sault Ste Marie
had quite a large selection of Radio Shack stuff at 50% off list so
they may be doing this in other cities.

Old December 12th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ve3... wrote:
Radio Shack Canada has announced on its website that it is closing its
nine stores in Canada on Jan 31, 2007 in order to concentrate on its
core business in the USA. Sales begin today but warranties and returns
could be difficult. There are details on its website:
http://radioshack.ca
Some discount stores are selling a good selection of RS products at 50%
off.

Not surprising given the changes that have occured over 25 years in
retailing of electronic appliances and the lack of consumer interest in
home electronic repair and experimentation. Radio Shack stores are
more like a small higher priced version of the electronics and toy
department at Target Department stores.

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1415 ­ September 24, 2004 Radionews CB 0 September 24th 04 05:55 PM