Old December 19th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Hey Steve (sdaniel13), and Ron Hardin

Just picked up an ANC-4, and am pleased with its performance so far;
however, I'm having trouble with my noise antenna, almost regardless of
length, being overloaded by a local broadcast station. According to the
manual, as well as a post Steve submitted here a few months ago, there's a
jumper which can be moved to attenuate the MW band. Unfortunately, this
jumper, JP3, isn't obvious to me on this board. I'm not sure if it has been
removed by the previous owner, as I bought it used, or if I'm just not
getting something. Is this a pretty straight forward thing that I'm just
missing somehow? Also, as far as wires go, which have you found to perform
the best as a noise antenna? I'm currently using an inverted L of sixty or
so feet phased against the ALA-1530, which works fine aside from the
overload issue.

-Brian

Old December 19th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:

Just picked up an ANC-4, and am pleased with its performance so far;
however, I'm having trouble with my noise antenna, almost regardless of
length, being overloaded by a local broadcast station. According to the
manual, as well as a post Steve submitted here a few months ago, there's a
jumper which can be moved to attenuate the MW band. Unfortunately, this
jumper, JP3, isn't obvious to me on this board. I'm not sure if it has been
removed by the previous owner, as I bought it used, or if I'm just not
getting something. Is this a pretty straight forward thing that I'm just
missing somehow? Also, as far as wires go, which have you found to perform
the best as a noise antenna? I'm currently using an inverted L of sixty or
so feet phased against the ALA-1530, which works fine aside from the
overload issue.

-Brian

I don't have that problem, however I'd be inclined to try a LC series trap
in series with the offending antenna, as the cheapest experiment (pick L and C
to resonate at the broadcaster's frequency, to remove it perferentially), or even
just a resistor, to see if overload is really the problem. Or a MFJ-956 passive
antenna tuner, off the shelf.

Or swap the antennas, and null the broadcaster with the ALA-1530, which is then the
noise antenna, by orienting it. Or you can null the station with the wire antenna,
though it's likely to be more inconvenient to reorient. Every antenna has null.

A slight disadvantage of tuned traps is that they change the attenuation across
the bandwidth of a station, so you can never quite eliminate the entire station
across the audio spectrum because the second antenna still has the original
shape.

--
Ron Hardin

Old December 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

I compared the board to a schematic I found online which shows the bc trap
and jumper components. Apparently the model I have is an earlier version
lacking these revisions. Regarding your suggestions, swapping antennas
proved ineffective, as the loop generally did not hear the noise, and when
it did the level was far lower than on the wire, making canceling difficult.
Using a twelve foot dipole I had no overload issues, but found it to be too
short in some instances. I'm still looking for instructions on building a
trap or bcb filter, but I'll keep experimenting with antennas in the
meantime.

-Brian

Old December 19th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:
[...]

Yep, sounds like a high pass filter is what you need. You might be able
to pick one up on ebay for a reasonable price, though of course
building your own is always the least expensive course.

Steve

Old December 23rd 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:
[...]

I have plans on how to build a BCB filter that I could send to you as a
PDF once I return to work and scan the document. Fortunately, I don't
get back to work until Jan. 2.

Cheers!

John Barnard

Old December 25th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Barnard" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
[...]

Thanks John! I sincerely appreciate and readily accept your offer. You can
drop the pdf at briancummins at the gmail. Thanks again.

-Brian Cummins

Old December 26th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:
[...]

No problem! The down side is that I won't get a chance to send it to you
until 2 Jan. when I get back to work. I think that Mouser carries all
the components needed to make the filter.

John Barnard

Old December 27th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brian wrote:
[...]

No problem, John. I appreciate that you'd go to the trouble, and look
forward to the project. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

-Brian