Old December 25th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Beginner Cant Pick up a Single Station in San Francisco

Yes. They are on light dimmers. I turned them off, and actually found
quite a few stations tonight.

thanks for the help...

mike

On 2006-12-24 20:30:19 -0800, "Beloved Leader"
said:

Are those things on light dimmers? Are they controlled by SCRs?
Switching power supplies? Lots of noise to be had there. If you go
outside, does the buzzing on the radio go away?

Old December 25th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

MC,

Take a trip to the Great Meadow in Golden Gate Park.

Bring your Radio a Blanket and a Thermos of Irish Coffee.

Pick a spot in the middle of the Meadow; put down the
Blanket and have a seat. Place the Radio between
your legs with the Whip Antenna extended and Listen.
Now have a sip or two of the Irish Coffee and Enjoy
your Radio.

memories of sf and good irish coffee - mumm
bidding one and all a shortwave good bye ~ RHF
Old December 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The "CFL" Good For The Planet - Maybe Bad For Shortwave Listening (SWL) Radio Reception

FO&A,

Here is another CFL Daylight Bulb with a built-in Anion
'thingy' to help Purify the Air inside your Homes.
- - - These can help-out in Bathrooms

Day Light CFL Bulb with "Ionic" Air Purifier 23 Watt
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ4463219015
The EONY-Light is a Negative Ion Generating Lamp for Air Purification.

Note - The Negative Ions (Anions) in the Air 'vitalize' our body
as though we were in a forest, by a waterfall, or at a hot spring.
A Negative Ion is often called "The Air Vitamin", because when
we inhale the Negative Ions, they accelerate our metabolism,
promote vitality, stabilize the nervous system, help us recover
from fatigue and raise our appetite. The volume of Negative Ions
per cubic centimeter (cc) in tranquil, refreshing natural areas
(such as forests, hot springs, waterfalls, and oceans) amount
to about 800- 2000 Ions/cc.

What You Should Know About The Air You Breathe :

1. The average person breathes approximately 3,400 gallons of air each
day - unfortunately much of that air is filled with contaminants,
pollutants, and impurities you just can't see.

2. According to the Enviromental Protection Agency, the air inside
your home can be two-to-five times more polluted than the air outside.

3. Home interior air can contain a variety of contaminants and
pollutants including mold spores, pollen, bacteria, dust mites,
asbestos, radon decay products, and other particles and impurities.

i have seen the day-light and ion better for it ~ RHF
Old December 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hehe... Yeah, I went up on the top of the hill between Noe Valley and
Glen Park last night, just to test things out. Really good reception.

I am already hooked.

mike

On 2006-12-24 23:55:20 -0800, "RHF" said:

MC,

Take a trip to the Great Meadow in Golden Gate Park.

Bring your Radio a Blanket and a Thermos of Irish Coffee.

Pick a spot in the middle of the Meadow; put down the
Blanket and have a seat. Place the Radio between
your legs with the Whip Antenna extended and Listen.
Now have a sip or two of the Irish Coffee and Enjoy
your Radio.

memories of sf and good irish coffee - mumm
bidding one and all a shortwave good bye ~ RHF
.
.
. .

On Dec 24, 8:19 pm, Mike Chambers wrote:
Just an update on this. I started to get some broadcasts tonight.
Picked up Voice of the Andes, and Radio Havana.

I also figured out that some of the low voltage lights in my house are
causing major interference (loud buzzing). If I turn them off, then it
goes away.

Thanks for the help. I am already getting hooked. Now I just need to
find a good started receiver, and antenna.

mike

On 2006-12-24 16:03:56 -0800, David said:

On 24 Dec 2006 13:18:48 -0800, "Mike Chambers"

If you can't hear buzzing on the radio, in the middle of a city,
there's something wrong with it. Does the AM work? Can you get KGO?
If so, you may want to mess with the Ext Antenna jack, it could have
crud in it. A few cycles with a 3.5mm plug will clean it up.- Hide
quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old December 25th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You too can build your very own Wave Bubble Self Tuning RF Jammer.Here's
Lady Ada's website to show and tell y'all all about it.But you can't
build them and sell them though,the fuzz will come after you.
www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble
cuhulin

Old December 26th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

FO&A - More about Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) and
the Power Smart Compact Fluorescent Lighting Program

A Bright Way to Save Time, Energy and Money!
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p..._to_save.shtml

Energy Star - Look for the ENERGY STAR Symbol
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...rgy_star.shtml
http://www.energystar.gov/

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -about-
Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL)
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/compact_faq.shtml

Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)
CFLs a Bright Way to Save Money ?
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p..._to_save.shtml

PLUS - That Something Extra - Light Emitting Diode (LED) Lights
"Celebrate the Holiday Season with Seasonal LED Lights
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...l_lights.shtml
Did You Know (DYK) - The amount of Electricity consumed
by a single old style 7-Watt Incandescent Light Bulb {NightLite}
could power 140 LED Bulbs - enough to fill two 24 - foot strings.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -about- Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_p...ghts_faq.shtml

it is better to shine one cfl/led light than to... ~ RHF
Old December 26th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike Chambers wrote:
However, I cannot pick up a single SW station at all. I am in San
Francisco, California, and have scanned almost all frequencies both at

Mike:

Rumor has it, all heterosexual stations have been banned in SF.

I think your gay mayor only allows reception of homosexual stations with
a gay agenda--well, that is the word on the streets! straight face
(pun intended!)

Regards,
JS
Old December 26th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com Radio Stations San Francisco California

Lots of radio stations in the San Francisco area.Probally more Radio
Stations than in some Countries.Which City in America has the most Radio
Stations?
cuhulin

Old December 29th 06, 05:44 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHF
MC,

Take a trip to the Great Meadow in Golden Gate Park.

Bring your Radio a Blanket and a Thermos of Irish Coffee.

Pick a spot in the middle of the Meadow; put down the
Blanket and have a seat. Place the Radio between
your legs with the Whip Antenna extended and Listen.
Now have a sip or two of the Irish Coffee and Enjoy
your Radio.

memories of sf and good irish coffee - mumm
bidding one and all a shortwave good bye ~ RHF
Heh, nice advice. It's getting down to the high 30s and the low 40s at night here, so wearing the blanket may be preferable.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 06, 05:52 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chambers
Hehe... Yeah, I went up on the top of the hill between Noe Valley and
Glen Park last night, just to test things out. Really good reception.

I am already hooked.

mike
Hello Mike:
I live in SF and I also have an SW7600GR (among other radios). It's possible to pick up English Deutsche Welle transmissions from Kigali here. They're not targeting North America but it comes in quite clearly here sometimes. My website often lists the shortwave stations I've been listening to, and the best antenna I have is a Degen DE31 active loop. So you will probably be able to get the same results. Good luck!
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/

Radio Station that is doing Smooth Jazz right: KKSF - San Francisco [email protected] Broadcasting 0 July 1st 06 04:05 AM
IBOC Article Carter, K8VT Shortwave 338 April 4th 06 02:56 PM
THE AMERICAN RADIO RELAY LEAGUE NEEDS TO BE FINED N9OGL Policy 34 February 12th 06 10:09 PM
Why does my police scanner pick up this FM broadcast station on WFM? It does not pick up any other stations. [email protected] Scanner 9 April 17th 05 01:54 AM
Radio call letters: What do they mean? Mike Terry Broadcasting 34 March 7th 05 03:47 AM