Old January 8th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna "Overloading" Eton E5 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio

Longwire Antenna "Overloading" Eton E5 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave
Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw.../message/11923

- - - In ,
- - - Mike Chambers mikechambers@... wrote:
-
- I have an Eton E5 portable, connected to a 60 foot
- longwire antenna. The antenna runs out the window,
- up the side of the house, and then 60 feet horizontally.
-
- This has dramatically improved signal strength, but
- I am now having two problems:
-
- 1. I am picking up strong AM stations on all of the
- shortwave frequencies(up to 10,000 Khz). This is
- making it difficult to find and listen to shortwave
- stations.
-

MC - Try a AM/MW Band 'Rejection' Filter : 500 kHz to 1800 kHz.
These are also call High-Pass-Filters for Shortwave Listeners
(SWLs) because the Shortwave Listener want to Hear the High
Frequencies abouve 1.8 MHz and 'Reject' the Lower Frequencies
below 1.8 MHz -aka- the AM/MW Broadcast Band.

Take a look at the Par Electronics "BCST-HPF" which is
designed to help ShortwaveListeners (SWLs) cope with
radio interference from strong AM/MW Radio Stations
which broadcast below 1700 kHz.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ters/4426.html

Also consider trying a Pre-Selector between the Antenna
and your Eton E5 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio.
Read - 500 Ohm Antenna using Matching Transformer {Balun} ?
-or- Antenna Pre-Selector ?

The Do-It-Yourselfer's Shortwave Antenna built from
TV type Parts :
A very simple TV type Parts Shortwave Antenna uses
a TV 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm Balun which usually cuts-off
most Frequencies below 5 MHz and thus functions as
a AM/MW 'Rejection' Antenna for Shortwave Listeners
(SWLs) who live in Urban Areas with several AM/MW
Radio Stations that cause Interference and Out-of-Band
Signal Overload Problems.

Read - Consider a simple 'build-it-yourself' Shortwave
Listener (SWL)Antenna made from TV Parts.

- 2. I seem to be picking up a lot of RF interference.
- I am guessing this is from the electrical system in
- my house (which is very noisy).

-R- That would be a good guess.

- I am pretty new to shortwave, and antennas, but am
- trying to learn. If I hooked up a shielded coax to
- run from the horizontal longwire to the radio, would
- that help with the interference?

-R- Yes a Coax Cable feed-in-line from the Antenna
to the Radio usually works better than plain old
Wire -or- just Insulated Wire.

- What about the overloading?

-R- Overloading and 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio
is usually caused by Too-MUCH-Antenna.
WHAT ? - A smaller / shorter External {Out-Side} Antenna
and Ground System that provides a reasonable level of
RF Signals to your 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radio
{About 5-9 S-Units} generally is good enough to let you
hear-all-that-you-can-hear -with-out- Overloading the
Radio and causing more problems then simply using the
Radio's built-in Whip Antenna.

The 'basic' {Low Noise} Inverted "L" Antenna :
1 - Out-Side and Away-from-the-House
2 - Coax Cable feed-in-line
3 - Ground Rod
4 - Matching Transformer
5 - Wire Antenna Element
6 - Connect the Outer-Shield of the Coax Cable to the
Ground Rod -and- Mount the Matching Transformer on the
Ground Rod.
7 - Rig the Wire Antenna Element in the shape of an
Inverted "L" starting with a Vertical-Up-Leg from the
Ground up to the Horizontal-Out-Arm.

Take a Look at the Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave
Listener's (EF-SWL) Antenna.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
The Wire Antenna Element is only 45 Feet long : It can
be Rigged 15Ft-x-30Ft and produce very good results with
most 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radios.
Read - The Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave Listener
"EF-SWL" Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw.../message/11828

- I have seen a mention of a balum being useful for
- longwire antennas. Would that help me in this situation?
- If so, is there any particular type of balum I need
- (again, I am learning about this stuff).

-R- The Balun {Matching Transformer} is only one part
of a Complete Antenna & Ground System. While the Balun
is important. It is the 'entire Antenna & Ground System
that produces good Signal Levels along with lower Levels
of Noise.

-
- thanks for any input...
-
- mike
-

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все *адушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \