Old January 18th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default diversity reception notes

I must be doing something wrong.

Frequency 6.486MHz (BTW arabic male)

I first tried 2 active dipoles seperated by 100' on a north to south
line.
Next I tried a 50' wire 6' off the ground with a WinRadio WR-LWA-0130
"long
wire adpator, with either of the active dipoles, then I ran another 50'
at right
angles for the first, also with a WR-LWA-0130 and tried them all with
my
Mini Circuits ZFSC-2-1, that while rated for 5~1000MHz operation has
been
tested and it works fine down to well below 100KHz.

The nulls we less frequent but much deeper when they came.

I then used a 2nd R2000 and fed each receiver with different antennas
and just let
the audio "mix" from the respective speaker outputs. The active dipoles
gave the
best overall effect. There was a very pronounced comb filter effect
kind of like
The Small Faces "Itchycoo Park" from 1967, or Gogi Grant's "The
Westward Wind".

Not too bad I think I will investigate some more this weekend.

At this point a couple of active dipoles into a broadband "phaser"
allow me
to peak the signal and that works better the diveristy. Now what would
happen if I had 2 sets of active dipoles feeding seperate phasers
feeding
seperate receivers?

I can get at the AGC in my R2000 fairly easily and it should be fairly
simple
to build a comparator to pass the strongest signal to the audio chain.

Just what I need another radio project.

Terry