RadioBanter

-   -   Icom R71: How well does it stack up today? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/114687-re-icom-r71-how-well-does-stack-up-today.html)

Joe Analssandrini February 2nd 07 05:35 PM

Icom R71: How well does it stack up today?

On Feb 2, 2:50 am, wrote:
Hi

I've been away from this group for a few years but I'm just getting
back into SWLing again. Anyway, I have an Icom R71 with the Kiwa audio
upgrade, a Kiwa LF-H4S 6KHz AM filter, an Icom FlL-33 6KHz filter and
have performed the passband tuning mod from Don Moman's R71
performance manual. I also recently re-aligned it and fine-tuned its
sensitivity so that its running sweetly.

The R71 was a top performer in its day but I'm just wondering how it
stacks up against newer receivers like the Icom R75, AOR7030, NRD 545
or the Drake R8B. I listen solely to Worldband broadcasts and am
wondering if some of the newer receivers are any better at pulling
weak stations out of the mud. I do fairly well by tuning AM stations
in USB or LSB mode if strong interference is a problem. I know that
sync detectors improve the audio quality but are any of these
receivers significantly better than the R71 at making an AM signal
intelligible in the face of strong interference or when dealing with
very weak signals? I don't often listen to communications so I'm only
really concerned with AM.

Cheers

Andy

Dear Andy,

Those other receivers you mention are all superior to the ICOM R71 in
terms of features, usability, and, at least in the case of the R8 and,
especially, the AR7030 Plus, sound quality. However, with regard to
what you say you listen, I do not feel that you need to "upgrade" at
all. As you say, the 'R71 was a top performer in its day and it should
still perform comparably today, especially in view of the obvious care
you have given to your unit.

As far as pulling signals "out of the mud," virtually all good
receivers, used with a proper antenna, will perform comparably.
Actually, this is a good time to compare receivers as we are at the
"bottom" of the sunspot cycle and it is difficult to get good long-
distance reception at this time. (For example, my AR7030 Plus is now
greatly outperforming my Grundig Satellit 800, both using their own
Wellbrook ALA 330S antennas; when conditions are better, the sets
perform comparably.) If warranted, an upgrade to your antenna system
might be considered before buying another receiver.

Should you still desire to buy another receiver, my own personal
preference is for the AOR AR7030 Plus, suitably equipped and
configured. This radio, especially with its audio output being sent to
a good external speaker or a good audio system, is, in my opinion,
superior to the other receivers you mention in terms of
"listenability" over many hours at a time. Its circuitry is top-notch
and virtually all parameters can be adjusted individually, regardless
of the tuning mode. Some do not like a menu-driven system, as opposed
to individual knobs and dials, but this operating scheme allows
similar configuration, adjustments, features, and performance at a far
lower price than, say, a radio such as the Ten-tec RX-340, to which it
directly compares. The AR7030 Plus' sensitivity and selectivity are
superb, and it offers one of the best synchronous detection circuits
on the market. If ordered from a dealer in the UK in conjunction with
AOR-UK, the radio can be factory-customized to your requirements.

There is a price to be paid for all of this, of course. Any new
communications receiver, comparable to your 'R71, is expensive. Only
you can determine if it's worth it to you or if you would be better
off saving your money and sticking with what you already own, which
is, as stated, a superb receiver.

Welcome back to the hobby!

Best,

Joe

[email protected] February 3rd 07 03:43 PM

Icom R71: How well does it stack up today?

Hi

Thanks for your replies everyone. My main reason for asking is that I
also have a Yaesu FRG-100 with the Kiwa audio mod and and Kiwa filter
modules (3.7 and 6 KHz). Running the two receivers off the same
antenna, I find that the FRG-100 is slightly more sensitive to very
weak signals. I know that for SSB the R71 has the advantage of the
notch filter, but tuning AM signals either normally or using ECSS, I
can find almost no signals on which the R71 outperforms the FRoG. The
R71 does perhaps have a slight edge when dealing with nearby
interference but I'd definitely say the FRoG is quieter and more
sensitive.

Given the fact that the R71 is generally more highly rated, I find
this surprising. I've got the Passport White Papers for both receivers
and it is true that they found the FRG-100 to be more sensitive than
the R71. In fact it ranks as about the most sensitive receiver they've
tested but the R71 was a bit of a legend for DXing about 20 years ago
so I'm surprised that the FRoG can match it most of the time and beat
it some of the time. As I've realigned my receiver with the help of a
technician friend, do you think my R71 is faulty? Has anyone else had
these two receivers side-by-side?

Cheers

Andy

[email protected] February 3rd 07 10:33 PM

On Feb 3, 8:43 am, wrote:
[...]

The FRG-100 is a hard receiver to beat sensitivity wise, probably due
to the excellent S/N ratio. Plus the KIWA audio and filter mods
definitely help. Keep in mind that the R71 design, although state of
the art in its time, is a bit dated now and quadruple conversion has
tradeoffs. Most of its problem is probably the horrible audio
characteristics. Your comparison of the two doesn't surprise me in the
least.

Frank

[email protected] February 4th 07 12:16 PM

On Feb 4, 2:33 am, " wrote:
On Feb 3, 8:43 am, wrote:

[...]

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Hi Frank

Good to hear from you again. The Yaesu is excellent but I was still a
bit worried about my R71's performance so with the service manual and
help from a tech friend, I went through the whole sensitivity setting
procedure again. I must have screwed up first time round. The R71 now
comes close to matching the FRG-100 for sensitivity, the difference
usually being negligible. You're right about the FR0G's audio being
better, though.

Cheers

Andy

[email protected] February 4th 07 06:08 PM

Icom R71: How well does it stack up today?

Hi Frank

Good to hear from you again. The Yaesu is excellent but I was still a
bit worried about my R71's performance so with the service manual and
help from a tech friend, I went through the whole sensitivity setting
procedure again. I must have screwed up first time round. The R71 now
comes close to matching the FRG-100 for sensitivity, the difference
usually being negligible. You're right about the FR0G's audio being
better, though.

Cheers

Andy- Hide quoted text -

Andy - are you back in the US now? I had an Icom R70 for a while and
loved it despite the weird end of band tuning thing and the
ergonomics. All-in-all I would consider it one of the top "DX
machines". I sent it to a friend of mine in CO to use. My present
collection includes and R-5000, R72, and NRD-525.

I can't figure why my wife's name was in the header on the last two
posts of mine (???)

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

[email protected] February 5th 07 04:04 AM

Icom R71: How well does it stack up today?

Andy - are you back in the US now? I had an Icom R70 for a while and
loved it despite the weird end of band tuning thing and the
ergonomics. All-in-all I would consider it one of the top "DX
machines". I sent it to a friend of mine in CO to use. My present
collection includes and R-5000, R72, and NRD-525.

I can't figure why my wife's name was in the header on the last two
posts of mine (???)

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson

Hi Frank

I'm still living near Dubai working at a college. By the way, I'm from
the UK originally, not the US.

I must admit, I've been very tempted by both the R-5000 and the
NRD-525. I bought an R-5000 on eBay a few years back but it was
faulty. It had great audio, though. I really like the R71 and think I
may spring for an R75 some time soon. Mind you, I was telling you that
about 3 or 4 years ago. Still, I plan to buy one before the supplies
run out as I'd like to get one brand new.

If you had to choose between the 525 and the R-5000, which would you
keep?

Cheers

Andy

[email protected] February 5th 07 05:15 AM

On Feb 4, 9:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

This is an extremely hard choice. They are comparable, however, I've
had three NRD-525's and two had the classic "JRC hiss" while the
present one is very quiet and clean audio wise. Despite being good
receivers the hiss was very annoying so I unloaded the first two. This
is my first R-5000 and it's a top notch receiver. It probably has the
best xtal filters of any radio I've had. I did upgrade the 6 kHz AM
filter (Inrad) and added the 500 Hz CW filter. I actually prefer it
over the R75 that I had only from a "feel" standpoint. The R75 was an
excellent performer but I tend to be a "knobulator!" The bottom line
is I think it would be a personal choice. Get both of them and let me
know which one you like best! I also like the R72 I have despite the
lack of advanced features. Very solid, simple receiver similar to the
FRG-100 but it doesn't have the local FM intermod problem that made my
FRG-100s rather useless in this location.

Frank

[email protected] February 5th 07 11:22 AM

On Feb 5, 9:15 am, " wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:04 pm, wrote:

[...]

I've often thought about getting another R-5000. I only had mine for
about 3 or 4 days but it had a bad connection somewhere, which caused
the sensitivity to drop intermittently, and bad key-bounce. If I could
find a perfect one running off 240 V, I think I'd be sorely tempted.
The audio was the best I've heard and made for really pleasant
listening.

Cheers

Andy

Geoffrey S. Mendelson February 5th 07 11:41 AM

wrote:
I've often thought about getting another R-5000. I only had mine for
about 3 or 4 days but it had a bad connection somewhere, which caused
the sensitivity to drop intermittently, and bad key-bounce. If I could
find a perfect one running off 240 V, I think I'd be sorely tempted.
The audio was the best I've heard and made for really pleasant
listening.

You need to be careful. There were two versions sold. One was 120 volt
ONLY, and the other was a multivoltage unit with a switch in the back.

My 1991 vintage U.S. purchased R5000 is 120 volt only. In my Universal
catalog from 1993, they were selling only the multivoltage unit. In 1996
when I started packing up to move here, I called Universal asking if
they could modify it to 220 volts and was asked "aren't all of them
multivoltage?".

They could not modify it, but it has lived happily here on 230 volts
connected to a 200 "watt" continuous duty transformer for the last
10 years.

The clock does not seem to be affected. I assume it is not dependent
upon the power line frequency.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM

[email protected] February 5th 07 11:57 AM

On Feb 5, 3:41 pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hi Geoff

Good point. The one I bought from eBay was 120 volt only, so I was a
bit unhappy that I spent good money on a transformer only to send the
radio back within days.

On a different note, how common is the key bounce? Do most units end
up suffering in the long term?

Cheers

Andy