Old February 6th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default How can I receive LM? (i. e. improve LW reception)

I have a Sangean ATS909W and a reel antenna, but I receive zilch on
the LW band. Is there anything I can do to make LW work for me?
I'm in Europe.
I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Old February 6th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Karl Self a écrit :
I have a Sangean ATS909W and a reel antenna, but I receive zilch on
the LW band. Is there anything I can do to make LW work for me?
I'm in Europe.
I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Guten Abend,

You can try to plug a reel antenna with a STEREO jack, connecting the
antenna to the ring and tip. Then it will activate the reel antenna for
MW and LW.

It works for me. It is not always an improvement. It highly depends on
the transmitter you're listening to, and the RFI conditions around you.
Sometime the ferrite bar antenna embedded in the radio can be better
since it is directionnal.

Tchüss,

Charly
Old February 6th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6 Feb., 23:56, Charly wrote:
You can try to plug a reel antenna with a STEREO jack, connecting the
antenna to the ring and tip. Then it will activate the reel antenna for
MW and LW.
It works for me. It is not always an improvement. It highly depends on
the transmitter you're listening to, and the RFI conditions around you.
Sometime the ferrite bar antenna embedded in the radio can be better
since it is directionnal.

So you are getting something in on LW?
Ou sont les longues ondes bien le bled du radio?

Old February 6th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

KS,

Take the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio out-side the
House or Building during the late night or early mornings.

Use only the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio's built-in
Whip Antenna.

Tune around the Longwave (LW) Band and try to hear any
of these Longwave (LW) Radio Stations on this List :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwav...transmitter s

IMHO - Since you are in Europe - You should be able
to Hear a few of these Longwave (LW) Radio Stations
by simply using the Radio's built-in Whip Antenna.

Next try using the Reel {Roll-Up} Antenna out-side
1 - Plug the Antenna Plug Half-Way-In and Tune around
the Longwave (LW) Band to see what you can hear.
2 - Plug the Antenna Plug Fully-In and Tune around
the Longwave (LW) Band to see what you can hear.

Once you have found that you can "Hear" Longwave (LW)
Radio Stations 'out-side' the House. Next try the same
in-side the House with the Radio next to a Window using
the Whip Antenna. Then Hang the Reel {Roll-Up} Antenna
out a Window connected to the Radio as in #1 & #2 above.

ABOUT - The Longwave (LW) Radio Band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old February 7th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Karl Self a écrit :
Unplugging the reel antenna did the trick!

Ah ! Yes ! If you use the Sangean reel antenna with a MONO jack, then it
disable the internal ferrite core antenna used on LW and MW !!!

I did try LW with an external longwire antenna (around 10 m), but the
results are very poor... Perhaps for these wave length we need a much
longer antenna ?

Charly

Old February 9th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6 Feb., 23:56, Charly wrote:
You can try to plug a reel antenna with a STEREO jack, connecting the
antenna to the ring and tip. Then it will activate the reel antenna for
MW and LW.

Do you mean using a mono to stereo adaptor between antenna and radio,
or an entirely different antenna altogether?

Old February 9th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Karl Self a écrit :
On 6 Feb., 23:56, Charly wrote:
You can try to plug a reel antenna with a STEREO jack, connecting the
antenna to the ring and tip. Then it will activate the reel antenna for
MW and LW.

Do you mean using a mono to stereo adaptor between antenna and radio,
or an entirely different antenna altogether?

You can build one. A commercial one might only connect one side (I don't
know which one).

I personnaly use a home made long wire linked to radio via a home-made
balun. The balun is connected to the radio with a stereo jack, with tip
and ring connected together, so it activates the external antenna for SW
(works well, better than Sony AN-LP1 active antenna sometime), MW
(competes with internal ferrite bar, which is directionnal), and LW (but
for that range of frequencies, the results are poor and the ferrite much
better).

I found that this jack settings works better than the Dave Moisan's
advice (connecting together sleeve and ring did not improve reception).

Hope this helps,

Charly
Old February 10th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7 Feb., 00:39, "RHF" wrote:
Use only the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio's built-in
Whip Antenna.

Thanks RHF, that already did the trick!