Old February 7th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default how well can you hear 9840 right now? (voice of russia) and where are u?

howdy--

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

Old February 7th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"tom k in L.A." wrote in message
oups.com...
howdy--

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

Loud and clear in San Diego.
s9+10 with some qsb now at 05:23 utc.
They were talking about fossils. Now talking about
exploring the moon (without the cooperation of the US).

--
rb

Old February 7th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 6, 9:30 pm, "Ron Baker, Pluralitas!"
wrote:
"tom k in L.A." wrote in ooglegroups.com...

howdy--

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

Loud and clear in San Diego.
s9+10 with some qsb now at 05:23 utc.
They were talking about fossils. Now talking about
exploring the moon (without the cooperation of the US).

--
rb

ron what kind of rig/antenna are you using? i think i need some
tweaks. rg58 lead i think is letting in some rfi. want to go up to
rg6.

Old February 7th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

oups.com...
wrote:
"tom k in L.A." wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

howdy--

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

Loud and clear in San Diego.
s9+10 with some qsb now at 05:23 utc.
They were talking about fossils. Now talking about
exploring the moon (without the cooperation of the US).

--
rb

ron what kind of rig/antenna are you using? i think i need some

80/40/10 meter dipole up a whopping 12 feet, depending
on how the rope has stretched. Aimed (the broadside)
approximately 50/230 degrees.
Some sort of balun center feed (that I don't think is any
better than the direct connect I had a few years ago).
RG 8/U.
TS-440SAT xcvr that I've owned for 20 years.

tweaks. rg58 lead i think is letting in some rfi. want to go up to
rg6.

I doubt that the type of coax would make a big
difference in leaking rfi. More important are the
terminations, IMHO.

BTW, nothing but static on 9840 right now.

--
rb

Old February 7th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
tom k in L.A. wrote:

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

I tried to find a VOR transmission on the evening when I first read your
thread on the subject. I found 9840, but the signal was too crummy to ID,
so I never posted a followup. Just tonight, I got a listenable signal
at 8:11 PM Seattle time (04:11 UTC, Feb. 8) but it faded out in about
15 minutes.

Strange, a couple of months ago, 15595 kHz (as I remember) was
booming in.

Did they cut back transmissions or is it just propagation?

Mark Zenier

Old February 9th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

tom k in L.A. wrote:
howdy--

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

Hi,
9.840 7/10
10:37UTC 09 Feb

Queensland Australia.

Radio Realistic DX-394
Antenna: Broadband Folded Dipole Antenna

Regards,
Paul
Old February 12th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Mark Zenier wrote:
In article .com,
tom k in L.A. wrote:

how well can you hear 9840 right now (voice of russia english
service)? I'm in LA and can barely hear it-- i'm trying to get VOR to
broadcast in the 49m band which might help reception. your feedback
would be useful.

I tried to find a VOR transmission on the evening when I first read your
thread on the subject. I found 9840, but the signal was too crummy to ID,
so I never posted a followup. Just tonight, I got a listenable signal
at 8:11 PM Seattle time (04:11 UTC, Feb. 8) but it faded out in about
15 minutes.

It makes you wonder if somebody read these threads and told them about it.

VOR on 9840 was S9+10dB last night from 04:00 to 06:00 UTC (Feb 12).

Mark Zenier