Old February 14th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD AM in NJ/NY ?

Well, from what I can hear there are only 3 stations left on the air
transmitting the IBOC signal on AM in the NY/NJ area. 660, 710 and 770. It
would seem to me that it is'nt catching on at all. I have never purchased
an AM HD radio because they are so expensive and non-available for the
most part and I am glad to have waited. FM may be better for IBOC but I
can't tell if they are broadcasting IBOC..it may be a success on FM if
radios get cheap and available.

Old February 14th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Excellent - looks like HD Radio/IBOC on AM is almost dead:

"RW Opinion: Rethinking AM's future"

"Only 175 or so AM stations have even licensed AM-HD. For a number of
reasons, quite a few have tried it and taken it off the air, or so the
anecdotal evidence suggests. (Ibiquity no longer reports in its public
summaries whether a station is on the air.)"

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0044/t.557.html

Old February 14th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Just imagine the Heinekens going out the door if everybody started
having to have HD radios.There would be more ''Katrinas'' all over
America.DIE,IBOC,DIE!
cuhulin

Old February 14th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 14, 9:51 am, Rich wrote:
Well, from what I can hear there are only 3 stations left on the air
transmitting the IBOC signal on AM in the NY/NJ area. 660, 710 and 770. It
would seem to me that it is'nt catching on at all. I have never purchased
an AM HD radio because they are so expensive and non-available for the
most part and I am glad to have waited. FM may be better for IBOC but I
can't tell if they are broadcasting IBOC..it may be a success on FM if
radios get cheap and available.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Interest in the NYC area is spectacularly low, despite the catchy
sales slogan:

"It's high fidelity, just like FM--only you have to buy a special
radio. And the program content will be basically the same content you
already hear and don't care for on analog AM. And the signal won't
carry as well, and there'll be drop outs. Don't miss out!"

Old February 14th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

On Feb 14, 9:51 am, Rich wrote:
[...]

Damn, you're really gonna **** Edweenie off with that..

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 14th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

NYC hands out condoms for Valentines day. www.drudgereport.com

Certainly more usefull than IBOC will ever be.
cuhulin

Old February 14th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:51:05 -0500, Rich
wrote:

Well, from what I can hear there are only 3 stations left on the air
transmitting the IBOC signal on AM in the NY/NJ area. 660, 710 and 770. It
would seem to me that it is'nt catching on at all. I have never purchased
an AM HD radio because they are so expensive and non-available for the
most part and I am glad to have waited. FM may be better for IBOC but I
can't tell if they are broadcasting IBOC..it may be a success on FM if
radios get cheap and available.

http://www.nyradiotv.com/digitalradio.htm

WFAN 660 (Infinity, sports, 50 kw)
WOR 710 (Buckley, talk, 50 kw)
WABC 770 (Disney, talk, 50 kw)
WNYC 820 (non-profit, variety)
WADO 1280 (Univision - news in Spanish)

Also, WCBS 880 (50 kw) and WINS 1010 (50 kw but Canadian clear
channel) (both Infinity all news outlets) say so on their web pages
(wcbs880.com and 1010wins.com)

Googling around, I also see that Multiethnic's WPAT (930, Spanish
music, Patterson, NJ) has an HD license which they use from time to
time.

I don't see any indication that the two other 50 kw AM outlets in NYC
(Disney sports WEPN 1050, Canadian clear channel, and Disney kids
WQEW, 1560) are HD.

Old February 15th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WINS is not HD on AM. WINS news is on FM-HD2 of WWFS (formerly WNEW)
at
102.7-2 .

WCBS is HD on AM, but they are having technical problems with their
exciter- for a few weeks already.

Remember that HD on AM is during the daytime only.

I would -hope- that Ibiquity's website would be the most accurate.

This is the URL to the NYC listings:
http://www.ibiquity.com/hd_radio/hdr...NY#stationlist

Old February 15th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well, Ibiquity's website is definately not up to date when it comes to
call letters or music formats...

But, I do know those are the current status of WCBS and WINS (I do
NOT work for those companies or CBS Radio - it's not inside info...).

Old February 15th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 14, 12:51 pm, Rich wrote:
[...]

If AM stations don't do anything to stem the tide of losing listenership it
will soon go the way of shortwave.

Why would anyone spend over a $1000 or $500 or $150 or even $30 on a
shortwave radio and many feet of wire hanging precariously around the garden
only to hope to listen to a handful or two of foreign radio stations
broadcasting primarily propaganda in the English language for about 1 hour a
day at best on constantly changing frequencies and schedules? All the while
hoping 'Ol Sol will bless the listener with the rare event of no static, no
fading and complete aural comprehension?

If you listen to anal-log shortwave you have got to be an idiot.

GOD BLESS IBOC, DRM, etc!