Old February 25th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Picking out a correct antenna for a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR.

I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Old February 25th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 24, 10:31 pm, "RedPenguin" wrote:
I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Don't waste your money Shortwave is dead! You can listen to all the
availble stations on you PC. Radios for SW are a waste of money.

Old February 25th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RedPenguin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Shortwave is Dead! Even with the Sony AN-LP1 antenna the only stations you
will pick up are communist propaganda stations.

Spend your good money on an IBOC HD digital radio http://www.hdradio.com

Old February 25th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RedPenguin wrote:
I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Simple long wire, if you have the room, is the best. Longer the better,
well, after 300 ft becomes an overkill. Run it though a 9:1 magnetic
balun and you are in business.

If you don't have the room, look into shortened antennas, even a
"broomstick antenna" will get you a bunch of stations--if mounted in a
good location.

JS
Old February 25th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 24, 10:31 pm, "RedPenguin" wrote:
I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Dear Sir,

The best antenna for the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is the one designed for it:
the Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna, There are two problems with this: it
is somewhat expensive (about $90.00 plus shipping) and it has been
discontinued in the United States. The one place to buy one, of which
I'm aware, is from an eBay seller. (Just go on eBay and search for
AN-LP1 ; make sure you insert the hyphen.) There is at least one
dealer there who sells the antenna for $89.00, which was its last US
price, and $15.00 shipping, which is not bad considering the antenna
will be shipped from a foreign country. If you can afford the price,
this is definitely the way to go. This antenna works extremely well
with the ICF-SW7600GR and is designed to collapse into a bag which
makes for very easy transport. It is a very elegant antenna and its
performance is superlative, especially with the '7600GR. (It must be
mounted in a window. Like all loops, it is directional, so you can
experiment with various windows in your house.) When I go on vacation,
I always carry one of my '7600GRs and one of my AN-LP1s.

Should you not wish to go this route, next best is the Sangean ANT 60
antenna. This is a "wind-up" antenna which can actually fit in your
pocket. When unstrung, the length is about 23 feet. This antenna works
surprisingly well with the '7600GR and is even usable outdoors in
windy weather. (The AN-LP1's instructions state it is for indoor use
only; it can, however, be used outdoors if there is no wind.) The
Sangean antenna costs about $12.00 - $15.00 and is available from
several sources - Universal Radio, AES, and C. Crane. Note that this
antenna uses very thin cable and is therefore somewhat delicate. I
have had a couple break over the years but, at the price, it doesn't
matter. I always keep a few spares on hand. (Even if you buy an AN-
LP1, it is good - and I recommend that you do so - to buy one or two
of these Sangeans just to have around for use when using the AN-LP1
may not be appropriate.)

My final recommendation to you would be to "roll your own." Forty to
sixty feet of insulated wire (16 - 18 Gauge) terminating in a 3.5 mm
plug and strung around your room(s) should work wonders in your
situation. You can, of course, get more elaborate by adding, as
someone suggested on this thread, a balun, but, frankly, with the Sony
radio, this is really not necessary. i believe the simpler the better
with this radio, at least in my experience. (Do NOT go longer than
about sixty feet - someone recommended 300 feet; this is far too long
for this radio - or you run the risk of "overloading.")

If at all possible, do consider the AN-LP1 antenna. I think you'd be
pleased with it and the results it affords.

Good luck.

Joe

Old February 25th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote
Like all loops, it is directional, so you can

I don't find the AN-LP1 to be directional on any band.

next best is the Sangean ANT 60
antenna. This is a "wind-up" antenna which can actually fit in your
pocket. When unstrung, the length is about 23 feet.

If I am not mistaken the Sony ICF-7600GR comes with a wind-up antenna of
this type. Not need to purchase another one.

Old February 25th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 24, 10:31 pm, "RedPenguin" wrote:
I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Before you hook up a long wire antenna, just try the great built-in
whip. Portable radios are designed to perform very well with no
further assistance and I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised at
the number of signals the 7600 will pick up.

Old February 26th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 25, 2:16 pm, "Guerite©" wrote:
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote

Like all loops, it is directional, so you can

I don't find the AN-LP1 to be directional on any band.

next best is the Sangean ANT 60
antenna. This is a "wind-up" antenna which can actually fit in your
pocket. When unstrung, the length is about 23 feet.

If I am not mistaken the Sony ICF-7600GR comes with a wind-up antenna of
this type. Not need to purchase another one.

Dear Sir,

I have indeed found the AN-LP1 to be highly direction on 49 meters and
below. I have three windows in one of my "listening rooms," one of
which is aimed 90 degrees away from the others. When moving the
antenna to that window, a noticeable effect is noted on weaker
signals. In practice, of course, when listening to the much stronger
signals for which it is appropriate to use this radio/antenna
combination, the directionality becomes of much less consequence and,
on 41, 31, 22, 25, and below, there is no effect whatsoever that I can
detect.

You are correct when you state that the Sony ICF-SW7600GR is packed
with a wind-up antenna. However that antenna must be clipped to the
Sony's whip; there is no plug by which one can attach that antenna to
the Sony's antenna jack. I have found that, on the shortwave bands, a
direct connection through the jack works better than a connection via
the whip. That is my personal experience. I have tried my Sangean ANT
60 both ways (one can attach that antenna either to the jack or to the
whip) and the jack connection works better.

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 25, 4:59 pm, "Roadie" wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:31 pm, "RedPenguin" wrote:

I will soon be purchasing a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
shortwave receiver. I am not too sure on how to pick a good shortwave
antenna. Does anyone have this radio and know a great antenna to pick
up things or just know a great shortwave antenna in general?

Before you hook up a long wire antenna, just try the great built-in
whip. Portable radios are designed to perform very well with no
further assistance and I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised at
the number of signals the 7600 will pick up.

Dear Sir,

You are correct - the Sony's whip does work well but, as the radio is
apparently designed to be able to handle a fairly significant external
antenna (it has a good dynamic range for a portable), the radio's
sensitivity with that whip leaves a bit to be desired if one wishes to
listen to somewhat weaker shortwave signals. An auxiliary antenna
makes a significant difference in my experience and the best one, in
my opinion, is the AN-LP1.

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote :
Dear Sir,

You are correct - the Sony's whip does work well but, as the radio is
apparently designed to be able to handle a fairly significant external
antenna (it has a good dynamic range for a portable), the radio's
sensitivity with that whip leaves a bit to be desired if one wishes to
listen to somewhat weaker shortwave signals. An auxiliary antenna
makes a significant difference in my experience and the best one, in
my opinion, is the AN-LP1.

Best,

Joe

Hello all,

Yes, AN-LP1 is a great antenna... Is it directionnal ? Hum... I did not
see any mesurable improvement by rotating the antenna on site (without
changing windows I mean). On lower frequencies, it is a great performer,
but above 15 MHz, an external longwire can beat it easily... I have both
and use the antenna that gives the better performance on a given situation.

The Sangean reel antenna is 7m long, that is 2 more meters than the Sony
that gets clipped on the whip. I have both and yes, the 2 additonal
meters can help, although not by a lot... The jack connection is said to
improve reception as well, but again, nothing noticable...

All those were tested on a Sangean 909 and a Sony SW100, not the 7600GR.

Those facts only reflect my OWN PERSONNAL experience and opinion only. I
don't intend to be a reference on the matter. Other people may
experiment other results...

Hope this helps,

Charly