Old March 20th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Lowbrow antenna question

Sorry for yet still even another "how do I make an antenna that..."
question, but I have no room for an outside antenna. Somebody
suggested the following: take about 40 feet of 16-18 gauge wire, wrap
it in a loop near the ceiling of the room with the radio, then connect
the ends, attach the now single end to an exposed end of a coax cable,
and connect the other end to the antenna jack (I have an Eton E1XM, so
the "other end" is an F-type plug connected to a Radio Shack F-to-PAL
adapters).
However, I seem to recall reading that tying the two ends together
doesn't work very well, and what I should be doing is connecting one
end to the coax wire while the other end is connected to the coax's
shielding so it can be grounded.

Do either of these sound like they would work reasonably well, or is
there something fundamentally wrong with the idea, and I should be
trying something more along the lines of "get as much wire as you can
run along as many walls of your house as you can and connect one end
to (choose one: the antenna jack, the radio's whip antenna)?

-- Don
Old March 20th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:35:21 -0700, Don Del Grande
wrote:

[...]

Use the jack if it has one. I'd try an ''L'' along the two longest
adjacent walls (up by the ceiling) first, before worrying about loops
and such. Loops are great antennas but they need to be vari-tuned.

All dimmers and halogen torchierres must be off. TVs and computers
don't help either. An active antenna in the window or outside would
work pretty well.
Old March 20th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Loop antennas don't need to be tuned but your right not to worry about
loop antennas because they sure don't worry about you.

All dimmers and halogen torchierres must be off. TVs and computers
don't help either.

With the common mode antenna you propose you bet.

An active antenna in the window or outside would work pretty well.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't worry about loop
antennas.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 20th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 03:50:11 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

Loop antennas don't need to be tuned but your right not to worry about
loop antennas because they sure don't worry about you.

An active antenna in the window or outside would work pretty well.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't worry about loop
antennas.

There are active loop antennas that are made to go in the window or
outside. They have tuners.
Old March 20th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Sorry for yet still even another "how do I make an antenna that..."
question, but I have no room for an outside antenna. Somebody
suggested the following: take about 40 feet of 16-18 gauge wire, wrap
it in a loop near the ceiling of the room with the radio, then connect
the ends, attach the now single end to an exposed end of a coax cable,
and connect the other end to the antenna jack (I have an Eton E1XM, so
the "other end" is an F-type plug connected to a Radio Shack F-to-PAL
adapters).
However, I seem to recall reading that tying the two ends together
doesn't work very well, and what I should be doing is connecting one
end to the coax wire while the other end is connected to the coax's
shielding so it can be grounded.

That's how most loops are set up. Whether this alternative idea of
tying the ends together would work better or worse, I don't know.

bob
k5qwg

Old March 21st 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 20, 7:29 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article , JeroenK
wrote:

Telamon schreef:

An active antenna in the window or outside would work pretty well.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you don't worry about loop
antennas.

This will be a fun project, that will end up with a VERY usable antenna.
I've made one myself and have had heaps of fun with it.

http://www.kr1st.com/swlloop.htm

Tuned loops can be fun but you can make a larger one at small cost that
will work well and does not need to be tuned or amplified.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

"BUILD YOUR OWN - IN-SIDE-THE-ROOM LOOP ANTENNA

An RG8 Coax Cable Loop Antenna used with an Active
Pre-Selector could be a low cost 'better radio reception'
answer then and Around-the-Room Loop Antenna.

A simple "One-Turn" Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna
Thirteen Foot (13') RG8 Coax Cable Loop Antenna Element with
a Four Foot (4') Diameter and a Three Foot (3') Feed-in-Line
with PL-259 Plug; for a Total Length of 16 Feet .
LOOP INFO = http://tinyurl.com/8k7o6
Has a Signal Capture Area (Aperture) of about 1808 Sq In
and can be used with many of the MFJ Active Pre-Selectors
MFJ-959; MFJ-1020; MFJ-1040; MFJ-1045; etc to provide an In-Door
Low Noise Loop Antenna to Null-Out many 'local' Noise Source.

Read - Building the GreerTech Coax Cable [Shielded] Loop Antennas
GREERTECH = http://tinyurl.com/9der2

Basic Coax Cable Loop Antenna Diagram
http://www.iri.tudelft.nl/~geurink/i..._schematic.jpg

READ - Coax Cable [Shielded] Loop Antennas {GreerTech}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1625

1 - Hook a Coax Cable {Shielded} Loop Antenna to the back
of a MFJ-1020 In-Door Active Antenna and Pre-Selector.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/1413rear.jpg
2 - Remove the small Whip Antenna from the MFJ-1020
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1413.html
3- You now have an Active {Tuned} Loop Antenna.
4 - Connect the Output of the MFJ-1020 to the Radio
via a short Coax Cable.

A 'small' Two Foot Diameter {Six Foot Circle} Loop Element
on the Window can work well with the MFJ-1020 when NO
out-side Antenna is permitted -and- a larger Loop in the
Room is not allowed.

A 'larger' Five Foot Diameter {Sixteen Foot Circle} Loop
Element on the Wall will work well by itself when NO
out-side Antenna is permitted -and- a larger Loop in the
Room is doable. Hide the Loop behind the Draps of Curtains.

iane ~ RHF

Antenna Simulation Parameters and Folded Dipole Antenna Question... RHF Antenna 3 January 23rd 07 03:43 PM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
Have I got this right? 10m antenna question. Ken Bessler Antenna 0 April 1st 05 01:38 AM
Question on antenna VS Antenna 0 December 2nd 04 11:47 PM
DX-398 / AT-909 Antenna Question Stephan Grossklass Shortwave 0 September 12th 03 03:20 PM