Old March 28th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default "HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

Old March 28th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2007-03-28 13:18:13 -0700, said:

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

For my first post here, I just want to say, I'd like to have that Zenith 520.

Old March 29th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 28, 1:18 pm, wrote:
"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

IMHO - Today's basic Consumer AM & FM Radio 'by-design'
is a reasonably good quality FM Radio with a very poor AM
Radio included. The exception being Car Radios. This may
be as DE has pointed out that the majority of Younger Under
35 Radio Listeners 'prefer' FM Radio Sound Quality and do
choose to Listen to FM Radio -over- AM Radios limited 'Talk'
Quality Sound. I would have thought that the Sangean HDT-1
"HD" Radio Conponent Tuner just might have been that one
'exception' to the demise of Quality High Perfromance AM/MW
Radios designed for the Average American Consumer {Radio
Listener} to use in their homes. But may be I am wrong. ~ RHF

Sangean HDT-1 AM & FM "HD" Radio Component Tuner
http://www.sangean.com/product.php?model=HDT-1

Sangean HDT-1 AM & FM "HD" Radio Component Tuner
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/0149.html

Sangean HDT-1 AM & FM "HD" Radio Component Tuner
http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0051/t.1571.html
Old March 29th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 28 Mar 2007 13:18:13 -0700, wrote:

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

I have the Recepter. It needs a proper antenna but works very well on
FM. The AM sucks.
Old March 30th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 28, 7:52 pm, David wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 13:18:13 -0700, wrote:

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

- I have the Recepter.

- It needs a proper antenna but works very well on FM.

- The AM sucks.

David - Do your remarks refer to the :

Boston Acoustics Receptor "HD" Radio ?
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/hd-radi...-radio-hd.aspx

-or- Boston Acoustics Receptor AM &FM {Analog} Radio ?
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...ter-radio.aspx

i want to know ~ RHF

Old March 30th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 29 Mar 2007 20:20:21 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

On Mar 28, 7:52 pm, David wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 13:18:13 -0700, wrote:

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

- I have the Recepter.

- It needs a proper antenna but works very well on FM.

- The AM sucks.

David - Do your remarks refer to the :

Boston Acoustics Receptor "HD" Radio ?
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/hd-radi...-radio-hd.aspx

-or- Boston Acoustics Receptor AM &FM {Analog} Radio ?
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...ter-radio.aspx

i want to know ~ RHF
.
.

HD model, but the FM is quite good on either Recepter model.

Old March 29th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default "HD Radio Effort Enhanced by Weak ANALog Ideolog's Propaganda Mouthpiece"

"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"
http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

It is funny that he rates his "SONY" analog radio so highly. At least he
didn't praise a Degen - bwaHAHAHA!
[BTW - some DXers have been using the Sony 7600GR for trans-Atlantic AM MW
DXing.]

RM: "Attaching these radios to a outdoor aerial such as an old TV antenna
will make a dramatic improvement in reception." - D'oh!, for FM, D'oh!
RM: "One HD radio owner I spoke with in my area installed an antenna that
resides in his attic. He purchased the Boston Acoustics Recepter HD and he
too was disappointed in the initial results. He told me the addition of a
better antenna dramatically improved reception and he is now very happy with
all the new content he is able to receive on the airwaves. He is quite
pleased with the HD2 offerings, particularly WPLJ in New York, which is
broadcasting two HD2 channels along side its HD1/analog offering. That he
finds the new channels compelling is the best news for HD radio..."

I have used both ANALog and HD Boston Acoustic's Recepters with a "Terk AM
Loop Advantage" antenna and have had surprisingly excellent results DXing
both analog and HD digital signals from my area.

When and if radio stations begin to broadcast HD Radio at or near the
stations' full power, instead of the current wee powered 1/100th fraction of
the ANALog signal, distant reception of HD Radio will improve dramatically
and without the need for any special antenna. Even at a HD Radio station's
reduced 1/100th power level I have DXed AM HD signals many hundreds of
miles.

Here is a good forum of HD Radio users
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Old March 30th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 29, 5:21 pm, "HD Radio³" wrote:
[...]

Did you miss this quote from the story:

External Antennas

"As I pointed out earlier, the HD radios all came with simple external
antennas, essentially 9' pieces of wire.The AM band utilized a
straight length of copper while the FM band employed a T-shaped
stretch. Attaching these radios to a outdoor aerial such as an old TV
antenna will make a dramatic improvement in reception. Unfortunately,
in the cable TV era not a lot of homes have outdoor aerials anymore.
This means additional cost and effort. Most consumers who purchase one
of these radios will never bother do that and, to be perfectly frank,
they shouldn't have to."

HD Radio is dead - BAWAHAAAAA !

Old March 31st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
"HD Radio Effort Undermined by Weak Tuners in Expensive Radios"

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/hd-radio2.html

Eduardo - all three HD radios failed miserably. Nothing like first
impressions for consumers - no wonder, with repetitive HD programming
(even HD-1 is just a digital copy of the main analog channel -
whoopie) and lousy reception with expensive HD radios, this turkey
will never takeoff !

Looks to me as if the analogue tuners are deliberately poorly
specified to make the HD signal appear to be brilliant. Looks like a
stupid marketing ploy that has blown up in the face of HD Radio
Alliance but that's what happens when you let spotty yuvs & yuvettes
in suits run things.

It all sounds rather stupid as not many people actually listen to
the radio these days, it just noise to fill up the quiet moments
consisting mostly of crap throw away pop, raving rightwing loonies,
religious con men or sports. None of these need quality sound.

Charlie.

--
www.radiowymsey.org
Old March 31st 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I am 60 miles northwest of New York City.
I don't expect to receive analog AM broadcast bands signals from NYC
with any level of quality with an indoor antenna, especially with a
home littered with modern electronics that throw noise all over the AM
band. Sure the local 2kw stations come in like gang busters, but who
wants to listen to Radio Disney all day ? To pick up NYC stations I
threw up a 30 foot wire in the attic attached to a free piece of RG-59,
and attached the outer braid to air conditioning air handler in the
attic. Now I get all the NYC AM broadcasters with very little effort
The article cited said they had problems receiving WCBS AM 880 in IBOC.
Depending on his test dates 880 AM IBOC was off the air for at least a
month doing some level of repair or upgrade work on their IBOC exciter.

You can't hear what is not transmitted.

going to be used today in the age of IPODS ?