Old May 11th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What a Pleasure Hearing HCJB Again

It's like returning to my youth in the early 1970's hearing HCJB's
shortwave broadcasts again during their DRM tests on 9915 kHz during
the month of May. It's great hearing DX Partyline etc. I hope that
they return to English language shortwave from Quito again (whether
DRM or simple analogue). Their long absence from shortwave in English
was sorely missed.

HCJB in DRM is available on either 9915 or 9815 kHz (they're doing a
little frequency hopping due to interference) from 0100 to 0400 UTC
with an excellent DRM signal into Detroit, MI on 10-May-2007.

Fred E.
N8UC -- Oak Park, MI
Old May 11th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wasnt aware of this. What is DRM exactly?
I loved listening to DX Party Line as well. Does bring back lots of
memories. I attribute my becoming a Christian directly to their minisrty.
God bless them.

Old May 11th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

"Byung Myung Sying" wrote in messagenews:2qi743hk337d28g4k3g5vr1p3hq2jouuq2@4ax .com...

It's like returning to my youth in the early 1970's hearing HCJB's
shortwave broadcasts again during their DRM tests on 9915 kHz during
the month of May. It's great hearing DX Partyline etc. I hope that
they return to English language shortwave from Quito again (whether
DRM or simple analogue). Their long absence from shortwave in English
was sorely missed.

HCJB in DRM is available on either 9915 or 9815 kHz (they're doing a
little frequency hopping due to interference) from 0100 to 0400 UTC
with an excellent DRM signal into Detroit, MI on 10-May-2007.

Fred E.
N8UC -- Oak Park, MI- Hide quoted text -

Brian O - The Power of Shortwave Radio ~ RHF
Old May 11th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Brian O wrote:
I wasnt aware of this. What is DRM exactly?

Digital Radio Mondiale (Worldwide Digital Radio, or something like that).

It's another method of sending a digital bitstream in a relativly
narrow bandwidth. It sends, using COFDM (a whole lot of closely spaced
subcarriers, phase modulated), a 9 or 10 kHz wide signal that can be
demodulated into a 30-40 kBPS bit stream that carries one or more lossy
compressed (MP3/ACC?/Ogg) audio signals. Unlike IBOC-AM a.k.a. HD-Radio,
it doesn't bother with an analog listenable signal.

It shows up as a 10 kHz wide block of rushing noise on AM, and on
SSB, you hear the various subcarriers zipping up and down. Very similar
to a multiplex radio telegraph signal, only about 4 times as wide.

Radio New Zealand often uses it on 15720, and Radio Canada on 9800.

The usual hobby way to receive it is to get a reciever that has
an IF output in the audio range (2-12 kHz?), feed that into a
computer's sound card, and throw a whole lot of CPU cycles at it.
There are standalone Digital Signal Processor chips that will
demodulate it (along with several other modulations, more commonly
used in Europe), so regular receivers are showing up this year.

My opinion of it is that it was developed by regional broadcasters in
Europe as a way to deal with getting shut out by the conversion to digital
by various national broadcast systems and satellite systems. One of
the more interesting uses is Radio New Zealand, who, (I gather), uses
it as a "poor man's satellite", to feed various FM band rebroadcasters
throughout the Pacific Ocean area.

Mark Zenier

Old May 11th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Byung Myung Sying" wrote in message
It's like returning to my youth in the early 1970's hearing HCJB's
shortwave broadcasts again during their DRM tests on 9915 kHz during
the month of May. It's great hearing DX Partyline etc. I hope that
they return to English language shortwave from Quito again (whether
DRM or simple analogue). Their long absence from shortwave in English
was sorely missed.

HCJB in DRM is available on either 9915 or 9815 kHz (they're doing a
little frequency hopping due to interference) from 0100 to 0400 UTC
with an excellent DRM signal into Detroit, MI on 10-May-2007.

Is this coming from the new site on the coast? I understood that the Pifo
site was being closed to facilitate the new UIO airport.

Old May 13th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Whatever one thinks of DRM (and it does cause adjacent channel
interference of up to 10 kHz on either side of the DRM broadcast
channel), it does deliver high fidelity shortwave broadcast
capability. The best use of it has been on low power regional
shortwave broadcasts in the 26 MHz band (used in Europe), where it
doesn't interfere with other services.

It might be interesting to lay aside a broadcast band especially for a
DRM (8 MHz maybe or 10 MHz???) where they would jam DRM shortwave
broadcasts every 8 kHz or so (since the DRM codec decoders can
differentiate between adjacent DRM broadcasts -- even if they're
overlapping). That would get the obnoxious DRM interference away from
other analogue broadcasters.

When I started this thread, I was pretty excited because HCJB, absent
from the English language shortwave broadcasting world, was enticed
back onto shortwave because of the superb sound quality of DRM. With
only 4 kW, they are reliably broadcasting throughout eastern and
midwestern North America in stereo on shortwave with music and
informational programming with fidelity that is worth listening to for
an entire evening of worthwhile entertainment.

This evening's program (0100 UTC on 9815) began with a program of
Ecuadorian music that was terrific. The announcer even used HCJB's
old moniker "The Voice of the Andes", something I thought that I'd
never hear again.

Welcome back HCJB! Don't let it be an "experiment", come back onto
shortwave permanently with or without DRM!

Fred E.
N8UC -- Oak Park, MI
Old May 13th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 12, 6:53 pm, Byung Myung Sying wrote:
[...]

Fred [N8UC] - Why isn't Technology Grand ! ) ~ RHF

Some day you can say : Why Son I was There
at the Dawn of the Digital Shortwave Radio Age !

Time-will-Tell - In 3-8 Years we will know -if- DRM will be
the resurrection or the death of International Shortwave
Radio Broadcasting - May We All Live To See It !
Old May 13th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 12, 11:41 pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

.
.

My prediction: it will be neither.

PLEASURE Woger Hojnacki Antenna 3 November 17th 06 12:32 PM
PLEASURE John Doe Policy 5 November 17th 06 11:12 AM
PLEASURE Woger Hojnacki Swap 2 November 17th 06 11:12 AM
Pleasure Boat Captains For Truth Diverd4777 Shortwave 1 September 22nd 04 02:43 AM
Pleasure Craft Operator Card A.K.A Boat License Boat Card Boatanchors 2 September 16th 03 02:15 PM