Old May 24th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Constant noise around 2 kHz

"?ish" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Why does SW radio comes up with noise the moment I dial beyond AM. I
have tried tuning with several radios (including Sony 2010) and for
some reason noise level seems to increase around that band. I tried
with both AC adapter and plain old battery.

Any ideas?

Many multiband radios (at least the better than bottom quality ones) use
higher gain stages above the AMBCB. This can either be an extra stage of RF
amplification, or a separate one, or an attenuator for frequencies below 1.7
MHz. More gain usually equals more noise (from outside sources).