Old July 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. . .
Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.
. . .

Try U.S. patents. The prose style is deadly, but the descriptions of
operation are very often entertainingly fictional. For a warm-up, I
recommend "Hyper-Light-Speed Antenna" by David L. Strom, #6,025,810.
There are many more creative ones and ones based on better
pseudo-science, but that one is surely worth a read.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old July 18th 07, 12:12 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

Roy Lewallen hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. . .
Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.
. . .

Try U.S. patents. The prose style is deadly, but the descriptions of
operation are very often entertainingly fictional. For a warm-up, I
recommend "Hyper-Light-Speed Antenna" by David L. Strom, #6,025,810.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=csYDAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,025,810
Cute. Apply DC and heat, and it goes faster than light.

Here's my candidate for the RF hype award:
"Magnetic field based power transmission line communication method and
system"
http://www.google.com/patents?id=N_sEAAAAEBAJ&dq=5982276
Uses a MASER with no visible means of coupling it to the power line to
move 2GBits/sec. Of course, it eventually went to litigation:
http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2004/03/22/story5.html
6 Pages from Wired Magazine:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.11/media.html
The list of suckers, er.... investors, it truely impressive.

I'll pretend not to mention commercial antennas that are sold without
any useful specifications, patterns, or simulations. That's one
reason I've often considered going into the antenna business. The
more they resemble a gold plated metallic scrap heap, the better they
sell. Few customers can see how they operate. Product comparisons
are difficult or impossible. Magic is everywhere. Yeah, the antenna
biz looks good.

There are many more creative ones and ones based on better
pseudo-science, but that one is surely worth a read.
Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Yes, but patents aren't made to be read by humans. They're made to be
read and fought over by attorneys.

I've also derived some entertainment from patents. For a while, I was
collecting what I considered to be patented impossibilities from
companies that exist mostly as a stock scam. However, I got into
legal hot water when I started to publicly suggest that their patented
technology was closer to science fiction than science. To avoid
litigation, I've had to keep my big mouth shut. I've run into some
real howlers that I would just love to offer as entertainment, but
don't need or want to risk an infestation of attorneys.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 18th 07, 12:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Thank you Jim. You did good, it will come around full circle, allways does!

Butch KF5DE
wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

You are an idiot.

snip crap

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old July 18th 07, 12:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:45:02 GMT, wrote in
:

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

True.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

False.

--
Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
John Navas http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ
Old July 18th 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna John Navas wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:45:02 GMT, wrote in
:

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

True.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

False.

1.9 GHz is in the -region- of 3 GHz.

..8 GHz is not in the -region- of 3 GHz.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old July 18th 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Jul 16, 7:36 pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Analog satellite still uses FM, but there is very little of that left. 30MHz
wide channels. Think there used to be one version of SECAM (in France, IIRC)
that used FM video. That's gone now, too.

Actually SECAM also uses AM for the luminance signal. However, it uses
FM for the color [chroma] signal.

Old July 18th 07, 01:06 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Jul 16, 6:07 pm, "NotMe" wrote:

The only FM on standard TV is the audio. Video is vestigial sideband AM.

I want it to be the opposite.

Old July 18th 07, 01:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
DTC DTC is offline

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I still own a service monitor and still turn it on
waiting for the display to mark the arrival of the alien visitors.

No doubt waiting for the Navasites from the Shirley Maclean alternative
universe...with their Extended GSM communicators.

Old July 18th 07, 01:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.internet.wireless

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'll pretend not to mention commercial antennas that are sold without
any useful specifications, patterns, or simulations. That's one
reason I've often considered going into the antenna business. The
more they resemble a gold plated metallic scrap heap, the better they
sell. Few customers can see how they operate. Product comparisons
are difficult or impossible. Magic is everywhere. Yeah, the antenna
biz looks good.

I remember seeing one of those "rabbit ears" tv antennas, unpowered,
shaped like a little satellite dish that you could rotate, selling for
like 14.99 or something and on the box it said "Uses RF Technology!!"

It was true, though, I guess.
--
W. Oates
Old July 18th 07, 01:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:13:33 -0500, DTC
wrote in :

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I still own a service monitor and still turn it on
waiting for the display to mark the arrival of the alien visitors.

No doubt waiting for the Navasites from the Shirley Maclean alternative
universe...with their Extended GSM communicators.

Hint: Extended GSM is a tower feature, not a handset feature.