Old August 14th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Mexico says "Hang on a minute" to IBOC

I prefer to imagine if we NUKED Mexico!
cuhulin

Old August 14th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
I prefer to imagine if we NUKED Mexico!
cuhulin

What? You've never enjoyed those ladies of the night south of the border?

Why in the heck would you waste that?

Regards,
JS
Old August 14th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 14, 2:03 pm, Bart Bailey wrote:

KPFK was there first, has been for many years.
XLNC was created by a bunch of right wingers over in Coronado.

Even so, KPFK was not licenced to serve San Diego. If the yuk-yuks at
Pacifica Los Angeles want to be heard in San Diego, let them buy a
local channel and turn it into a relay for their 90.7 FM signal.

Stephanie (stuck in WBAI land) Weil
New York City, USA

Old August 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I was in a U.S.Army Nike Nuclear Missiles outit in 1963.
cuhulin

Old August 14th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Stephanie Weil" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 11, 8:49 pm, Bart Bailey wrote:
but Mexico allows
international jamming station XLNC to operate from their territory.
so I say **** Mexico and may they suffer any interference.

I don't understand how XHLNC/Tijuana is a "jammer"? The station is
licenced to serve the Tijuana/San Diego metro. Whether or not it
blocks reception of an out of town station (KPFK/Los Angeles) is
irrelevant. KPFK's service area is Los Angeles, NOT San Diego.

100,000 watt FM signals are not meant to cover only a single city, but a
very wide area. Most of the 100KW plants in Portland easily cover a 75 mile
radius (easily listenable on even the crappiest of Chinese Junk radios. One
thing the FCC would never do (and it pains me to give them ANY credit
whatsoever) is to put two stations on the same frequency with overlapping
coverage areas (nighttime AM propagation notwithstanding).

The distance from the Mt. Wilson tower site to S.D. is only about 100 miles.
Given terrain and tower height, that's EASILY a listenable signal in S.D.

Old August 14th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

[...]

Good morning Brenda,

Now that we're on the FM thing, there's a station that is in Grand Rapids,
Michigan that for years advertised that it was the most powerful FM station in
the country.

Maybe on 97.3? They now play country, but once were rock.

Could easily pick them up down into Indiana (my home and native land) quite
easily.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 15th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message
Good morning Brenda,

Now that we're on the FM thing, there's a station that is in Grand Rapids,
Michigan that for years advertised that it was the most powerful FM
station in
the country.

Maybe on 97.3? They now play country, but once were rock.

Could easily pick them up down into Indiana (my home and native land)
quite
easily.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HO-LY JESUS!!! Where and how did they get an authorization for 320,000
WEIRP???? Last I saw, the limit was 100K!!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...BCT&service=FM

Old August 15th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
Good morning Brenda,

Now that we're on the FM thing, there's a station that is in Grand Rapids,
Michigan that for years advertised that it was the most powerful FM
station in
the country.

Maybe on 97.3? They now play country, but once were rock.

Could easily pick them up down into Indiana (my home and native land)
quite
easily.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HO-LY JESUS!!! Where and how did they get an authorization for 320,000
WEIRP???? Last I saw, the limit was 100K!!

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...BCT&service=FM

No idea I guess.. their predecessors that played rock, even perhaps in the late
60's advertised that they were the most powerful station in the US of A.

Old August 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com FM Radio Stations Jackson Mississippi

All of the Jackson metro area FM Radio stations around here come in loud
and clear.
cuhulin

Old August 15th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

Now that we're on the FM thing, there's a station that is in Grand Rapids,
Michigan that for years advertised that it was the most powerful FM
station in
the country.

Maybe on 97.3? They now play country, but once were rock.

Could easily pick them up down into Indiana (my home and native land)
quite
easily.

Actually, there are two grandfathered stations in Grand Rapids. WOOD has
265,000 watts ERP and WBCT has 320,000 watts ERP. WOOD-FM is on 105.7 and
the other on 93.7. WBCT was originally put on by Fetzer, combining the aural
sections of two high band VHF TV transmitters, modified, to give nearly 500
kw ERP... but, at the time, only horizontal polarization.

Unfortunately, both have had their useful coverage reduced as they are only
protected to the contour of a conforming 50 kw at 500 foot class B FM. More
recent allocations limit the listenership area considerably.