Old August 29th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default TV Band ?

Roadie wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:40 am, wrote:
Many radios for the US market has not only the AM and FM bands but
they also have the TV band.
Can anyone explain what is the TV band ?
Can you hear to television broadcasts in that band ?
If so, could it work in Italy too ?
Thanks

It's the audio portion of a TV broadcast. For me it would be useless
because TV audio is typically written to assume there are
acccompanying pictures.

Surprisingly, not so.

There was a study done some 25 years ago, now, that specifically
addressed the issue of whether pictures were actually needed for TV
enjoyment.

The results were quite interesting. Of the TV shows up to that point
which would have been early 80's, now, only two shows on television had
ever REQUIRED picture to transmit the content, intent, and story (if
any) of the show. One was 'Mission: Impossible.' The other was 'the
prisoner.'

In virtually all other cases, the audio portion was all that was
necessary. Even visual gag shows like Red Skelton worked with audio
only. No surprise there...he had been successful on Radio also.

The study was roundly panned by the TV industry, for one. For obvious
reasons. The study was also the source of some mirth among Radio wags.
This is something radio listeners had known for decades.

Dramas, comedy, variety shows, mysteries. Even science fiction and
westerns like Gunsmoke and Have Gun Will Travel had all been successful
Radio shows. Have Gun Will Travel was unique in that it began on TV in
1957, and migrated to Radio for the conclusion of the story in which
Paladin returned to Boston to collect an inheritance.

When the radio shows began to move to TV, the same writers were
producing the scripts in the style to which they'd been accustomed: with
emphasis on audio content. In other words, TV scripts were being written
as for Radio.

With few exceptions, that style hasn't changed.

And even today, in very nearly all cases, the audio channel is the
only thing needed to carry the program.

TV band radios make a good deal of sense.

Something we, as active Radio listeners today have continued to enjoy.
Old August 29th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 29, 9:39 am, D Peter Maus wrote:
Roadie wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:40 am, wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, Red Skelton. Man, they don't make them like him anymore.

Old August 29th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Red Skelton

Someone wrote
Ah yes, Red Skelton. Man, they don't make them like him anymore.

Indeed - but we now have Steven Wright see URL:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...d=13147 89229

He once asked "What the hell happened to the B Battery?"

The Shadow Knows - do you?

LC

Old August 29th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I always enjoyed Red Skelton's radio and tv shows and movies.His tv
shows, he always ended them by saying, God Bless.
If I may throw in a www.devilfinder.com thingy? Biography Red
Skelton

I own a few old radios which have tv audio channels.(now y'all know why
I call it Radiio tb.(tb, Dennis the Menance, tb and Cowboy Bob)
Television is Radio with pictures.

Maybe the guy in Italy can buy a Sling Box www.slingbox.com and
do something with that?

I want to buy a wireless speaker I can use with my tv set (RCA 27 inch
screen CRT tv set) which is used with my WebTV.Reason is, so I can put
the wireless speaker in the window of my front bedroom (the side window
facing the side of the house next door to me and when them women are
sitting around in their yard, I can pull up some internet Irish and
Scotish music and and turn it up real loud let them give a listen.Do
y'all know where I can find such a wireless speaker?
cuhulin

Old August 29th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WIRELESS SPEAKERS FOR cuhulin

SNIP
I want to buy a wireless speaker I can use with my tv set (RCA 27 inch
screen CRT tv set) which is used with my WebTV.Reason is, so I can put
the wireless speaker in the window of my front bedroom (the side window
facing the side of the house next door to me and when them women are
sitting around in their yard, I can pull up some internet Irish and
Scotish music and and turn it up real loud let them give a listen.Do
y'all know where I can find such a wireless speaker?
cuhulin

RCA WSP150 900 MHz Wireless Speakers
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-WSP150-900.../dp/B00000J0D8

$65 OR CHECK LOCAL GOODWILL STORE (:-)

DA SHADOW

Old August 29th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Amazon.com? OK, DA SHADOW, I will look and see.By the way, I used to
listen to them Shadow radio programs many years ago on our family
radio.I can still hear that creaking door now.I am sixty five years
young (sixty six November the fifth, if I live long enough) and I
listened to everything on our radio.Stella Dallas and all of them.
cuhulin

Old August 29th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
Amazon.com? OK, DA SHADOW, I will look and see.By the way, I used to
listen to them Shadow radio programs many years ago on our family
radio.I can still hear that creaking door now.I am sixty five years
young (sixty six November the fifth, if I live long enough) and I
listened to everything on our radio.Stella Dallas and all of them.
cuhulin

Very good cuhulin. I have the RCA Wireless speakers -- I use them for rear
channel sound - works well.

Stella Dallas -- ah yes -- radio serial, which aired daily for 18 years, and
which is often credited as being the first soap opera.

Hey -- How bout Ma Perkins and Jack Armstrong who was the ____ __________
Boy
And the Secret Decoder Ring ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/1937-Jack-ARMSTR...QQcmdZViewItem

ONLY $150.00 - DAMN I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MINE

DA Shadow remembers (sometimes)

Old August 29th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Roadie wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:40 am, wrote:
[...]

Well, certainly someone like Red Skelton, or possibly Gunsmoke would
certainly be listenable. Most of the modern shows rely a lot on
visual tricks to make them interesting and the listener would be in
for a very flat and ultimately boring experience while trying to
figure out what was happening on CSI-like crime programs, most of the
dopey sitcoms, Discovery and Nature programs, etc. Imagine listening
to only the audio feed for the Antiques Roadshow. Today's programming
relies much more on visual imagery to provide detail to situations.

Old August 29th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And those old Ma and Pa Kettle on the Farm movies.Tune in your local
area radio programs nowadays and what do you get?

Many years ago, (in my opinion) those old radio programs were much
better.
I listened to Stella Dallas (and become to like those Stella Dallas
radio programs) when I was a kid because my mom used to tune in Stella
Dallas.
cuhulin

Old August 29th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com
Stella Dallas
cuhulin

FS Kenwood TM 732 Dual Band, Standard C5900 Tri Band Home of The Perfect Storm General 1 April 4th 09 03:36 AM
The 20m band is a band used by US drunkards JJ Policy 11 June 9th 04 12:59 AM
Best band ? Torbjørn Morka Dx 20 April 19th 04 04:54 PM
Best band ? Torbjørn Morka Dx 0 April 13th 04 09:39 PM
FS Kenwood TM 732 Dual Band, Standard C5900 Tri Band Home of The Perfect Storm Swap 0 December 12th 03 03:33 PM